Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Travis - Taco Tour stop #59 - Paleteria La Reyna - 2925 N Arkansas

Holy Cow - yes I'm slipping on my reviews...it seems like it's been forever.  A few weeks ago Shon and I finally made it up to Paleteria La Reyna to try their tacos.  This is a location that has kind of eluded us somehow. We seem to always go on days they're closed or when they're away on vacation.  But we finally did make an appearance - so how was it?

This is a fairly standard "order-at-the-counter" restaurant.  They have a selection of tacos and looks pretty plain inside but plenty of seating.  The chips and salsa were pretty tasty - nice thick and crunchy chips so definitely enjoyed those!

When our food arrived, my selection had green salsa on everything but Shon's didn't. We don't really know why because we ordered at the same time and nearly the same items.  Regardless, that green sauce has a bit of a bite, so if you're not into spicy, you'll probably want to ask them to hold it.


I started with a barbacoa taco - it definitely wasn't as fatty as others we've had. I liked the texture better here than some that we've had that feel kind of mushy.  The taste was decent but not as good as some of the better ones we've had.  It was still an enjoyable taco though, so you won't go wrong here if you like barbacoa.

I tried the pollo next - it was tender and a little juicy on the outside but still a little dry on the inside. It had a pretty good flavor but the green sauce sort of covered up the chicken taste. That was a bit of a bummer but I still did like this taco.

Carne asada was next and it had a good steak flavor that I enjoyed. The meat was pretty tender except for one small fatty bit that was in it - but nothing to get too upset about.  There was plenty of meat making this an enjoyable taco for sure.

Lastly was the al pastor which had a very red color like you might expect to see. It had a nice flavor with plenty of meat. I really did like this taco - and it had a bit of heat to it.  It was marinated well and definitely wasn't dry.  I'll for sure get this taco again if we make our way back here.

Overall our visit was good and I'm glad we finally made it here.  They seem to be closed on Wednesdays, so plan your visit accordingly (that was our problem - lack of planning).  I can't remember the cost, but it wasn't excessive - so you'll be fine on value.  They do seem to have a selection of other Mexican fare so it might be fun to stop again and try some other stuff!  My taco ratings below may seem a bit boring, but I think PLR lands pretty well in the above average category. Nothing crazy to rush over for, but you won't be disappointed if you make the stop - so I'm going 3 tacos straight across!

Out of 5 tacos, here's my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment