Search This Blog

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Travis - Taco Tour stop #46 - El Pollo Dorado al Carbón de Wichita - 2117 E Central

Per our usual behavior, we weren't sure where to go this week. Do we hit someplace new? Do we go to an old favorite?  So I guess we sort of combined that and decided to return to try El Pollo Dorado again - but to hit their now brick and mortar location on E Central.  The thing I'm slightly confused about is their Facebook page still shows their location on W 21st - and there is news on the internet about them moving to a spot on West Street. So, honestly, I'm not entirely sure if this is a permanent new location or temporary or exactly what.  Regardless, that's where they are as of writing this review.  If you plan to go, just check their page to see I guess!

This is a very small building tucked in a corner of a parking lot. Due to this arrangement and a large smoker taking up one space, there were literally 2 spaces and they were both taken. So I parked in the "liquor store parking only" spot.  I'm already annoyed - it's been one of those morning already and this place is getting on my nerves - but maybe they'll redeem themselves.  Chris and Shon are already seated in the very small dining room and inform me that they've already ordered at the counter.  I see there is another table of patrons who are finishing their food.  The cook/cashier was preparing tacos for the two dorks so I waited (impatiently) at the counter. And waited. And waited. And waited. Never greeted. Never even acknowledged. In fact I stood at the counter for about 8 minutes. Ironically, before he ever talked to me, he talked "past" me to the ladies that were leaving.  Had I been alone and not wanting to eat with the guys, I would have left. I was pretty much ready to walk anyway.  But since we were there for the tour, I waited.

I knew their tacos were small, so I ordered 2 of each: al pastor, carne asada, and chicken. "We're out of chicken". Hmm - El POLLO is out of chicken at lunch time - and not a late lunch. Right in the middle of the lunch hour.  This place is kind of known for their good chicken, so that's not great either.

The food was prepared in a timely manner and when it arrived it looked good (even though no chicken).

So the reviews are going to be short and sweet - because I'm frankly annoyed and not in the mood by this point.  Here goes:

The al pastor was decent and had a solid kick.  Nothing to complain about here, nothing memorable.

The carne was ... there. Not a lot of flavor.  They serve grilled onions and that helped.

That's it. No chicken. Seriously annoying and poor service. Parking sucks. Location is tiny. TV was loud. And I wasn't in the mood. Maybe I'll go back sometime - but there won't be a rush to go.  At least they had Mtn Dew.

Out of 5 annoyed tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment