Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #8 - Molino's on N Waco.

Today's stop on the tour was a pleasant surprise that we were forced into by accident. You may have noticed that we didn't post an event this week, mainly because Thing 1 and Thing 2 (AKA Travis and Chris) didn't decide where we were going until the day before. This actually ended up being a good thing, since we went to Chris' first suggestion, Chiquita's Corner, only to find out they didn't open till 2pm. I'm guessing they don't do a very brisk lunch business at that late hour. But what do I know....Anyway, we decided on the spot to hit Molino's on N Waco instead since it was close.


Molino's is tucked into the corner of a small shopping center on N Waco. I've actually driven by several times and had no idea it was there. Once inside, we were greeted immediately with a quick seat and chips and salsa. I really like the salsa here - chunky and perfect for scooping up in chips. Not a thin, no-substance, salsa that barely stays on your chip. We were also given a nice variety of salsas to try - I would recommend their hotter house salsa and the habanero salsa. Both very good but not so hot you couldn't enjoy them.


After looking over the menu I decided to go with 5 tacos from their Tacos de la Calles, listed below by preference:


- Discada - a blend of bacon, chorizo, and steak. This was my favorite taco by far. Maybe my favorite taco on the tour to date. It had a very interesting mix of flavors that I haven't had anywhere else to this point in the tour. As a meat eater, I was in Taco Heaven with this one.
- Cochinita Pibil - pork marinated in a red tomatillo sauce. My first impression was that it looked kinda bland. Once I sunk my teeth in it, my last impression was that it was really good. Not spicy, but very juicy.
- Arrachera - skirt steak taco. The steak was nicely seasoned and very tender. A pretty naked taco with just a nice amount of steak on two flour shells. Amazingly, it really didn't need anything else.
- Shrimp - my shrimp taco came nicely dressed with some fajita peppers and onions on top (unlike the shrimp only kiddie version that Chris is so fond of). A nice taco full of perfectly cooked shrimp, seasoned in pepper and I added just a hint of lime for contrast.
- Chicharron - pork foreskin. Yes, that's what it was. I almost didn't order it, cause I didn't know how long the jokes would continue at the table. But, as the adventurous one in the group, someone has to eat something besides steak and chicken every week, right? Unfortunately, I endured my tour mates abuse for no good reason. This taco was the only disappointment of the day. No real seasoning or flavor to it. Feel free to skip it.


Other than the chicharron, the other tacos here are high up on the taco flavor scale. If you're in a hurry, this may not be your first place to stop as the wait for our tacos took a little while longer than most places. But overall, Molino's has definitely pushed it's way to the top 2 or 3 overall for all of us. Here's my overall ratings below on the 5 Taco Scale:


Food Quality - 4.5 Tacos
Price - $-$$
Value - 4.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.5 Tacos
Service 4.0 Tacos
Overall Experience 4.5 Tacos
Likelihood To Return - 5.0 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment