Search This Blog

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Travis - Taco Tour stop #42 - Margarita's Cantina - 3109 E Douglas

Our inability to plan ahead during this tour is pretty well documented.  Hey it's 3 guys - planning is not any of our strengths. However giving each other crap and continual harassment seems to be the weekly MO!  So this week's last minute selection is Margarita's Cantina - a spot that is pretty popular and familiar to many in Wichita.

I think we've all been here before - and candidly I don't really remember it being anything exciting as far as tacos go.  But that's okay, it's a spot that is on our list and we need to get it crossed off for comparison!

Margarita's has pretty good chips and salsa - the salsa has a unique flavor and this is the second time I've noticed that sometimes that uniqueness has an odd "metallic" taste to it - maybe too much lime?  First round was good - the second round wasn't as good.  I'm not sure what they're doing or if it's just me.  Regardless, it's got a nice kick. They're not my favorite, but good.

For tacos, they only have 3 choices of meat: tilapia, beef, or chicken. They also have 2 shells: new style or classic.  I had to ask what the difference was and the explanation is that new style is just a regular taco shell and classic is a thinner fried shell.  So.... "new" style is the regular shell that every fast food place in town has. Ok. #confusedface

A la carte tacos are $3/ea or you can get a 3 taco plate with beans & rice for $10 - so I got the place (rice only).  After the confusing explanation of new style and classic, I actually can't remember exactly how I ordered my tacos (and I don't think they came out how I ordered them).



Here's what I do remember - the chicken was dry and had an odd flavor. I'm not saying it was bad, it's just different.  The beef was decent - this one had a crispy thin shell, so I think that was classic... right? Anyway, plenty of meat.  For a plain beef taco it was pretty good.  We've had WAY better tacos elsewhere on the tour - HOWEVER, this one actually is pretty high on my list of plain beef tacos.

Overall, I continue to be underwhelmed by Margarita's. I think as far as tacos go, they're just mediocre. They might be better for other Mexican food - but this is the taco tour.  The confusing selection of classic or new style and the mistake (?) on my order, won't send me rushing back here. However, for just a plain old beef taco, I might make my way back here sometime - and possibly go for something else on their menu.

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:
Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment