Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2018

Travis - Taco Tour stop #64 - Rene's - W Central & 235

Somehow I forgot to write this review - we hit up the popular "after-last-call" spot awhile back. Full disclosure: I've only been here when completely sober and that includes this visit.  From what I've heard, the food at Rene's Restaurant is pretty good when slightly inebriated - so you might take that into consideration! Also, please note in the title I put it as near W Central and 235 - technically the address is 677 N Eisenhower.  This is the one that's just west of the 235 overpass on Central - there is another location past Tyler that I've not been to.

Okay with logistics and semantics out of the way, what did we think of Rene's?  If you haven't been here, it's a very small restaurant with a drive through.  Not much parking or seating here, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. Didn't this used to be a Dairy Queen long ago or am I thinking of somewhere else?  I could really go for a Blizzard...

Okay this is fairly typical fast food - you order at the counter and they call your number when it's ready.  A la carte options here are okay but aren't the best value if you go that route.  Spoiler alert!  The word of the day is PLENTY of meat, and disintegrating tortillas...  (That was more than 1 word).

I ordered the ground beef, shredded chicken, carne asada, carnitas, and adobada.  Everything comes out in an acceptable timeframe.  Note - most of their tacos come with guacamole on them. I honestly don't understand (or like) this method of dressing tacos.  I feel the guac just covers up the flavor of the meat. You might like guac - you might even like it on a taco. I don't so I order without it.

First taco is the ground beef which was in a deep fried shell.  It was very crunchy. It wasn't bad actually - I did kind of enjoy this taco and it had a decent taste. That said, not a lot more to say about this one.  Deep fried ground beef taco should tell you what you need to know.

The shredded chicken was next and I got that in a hard shell. It was VERY juicy and there was plenty of meat. Honestly this one kind of surprised me - I wasn't expecting much but it had a tiny kick and turned out to be pretty tasty. It won't win any taco tour awards but if I come back, I'd get this one again.

The asada was next and came with pico on it.  In a word: eh.  Lots of meat but a little chewy. It wasn't bad but not really much flavor either.  There was something just slightly odd with the steak flavor - never quite figured out why.  The tortilla disintegrated after 1 or 2 bites and a lot fell out so I needed a fork.

Carnitas was next.  In my notes I put "hmm, not sure"! This one felt like it should have been better - but wasn't.  It was just okay. Again not a ton of flavor but lots of meat.  One big chunk of meat that could have been cut better.  This one seems like it was missing something - oh yeah, onions and cilantro instead of pico.  I prefer the more traditional instead of pico on my tacos.  But to each their own!

Last was the adobada - it was a mess. It had lots of meat also, kinda chewy, and plenty juicy. It too seemed lacking in flavor - nothing bold about it. The tortilla also disintegrated after a few bites and lots fell out.

With everything left over on my plate after falling out, I probably had at least 1 or 2 more tacos's worth of meat. But frankly, I didn't bother.  Nothing was good enough to motivate me to use the fork.  To sum up the visit, everything was just "OK" with lots of meat, mediocre flavor, and disintegrating tortillas.  The tortilla edges were a little tough and I think everything could have used 2 tortillas instead of 1.

I think this is my second visit to Rene's (both times sober). I honestly don't see the draw. It's okay - you get plenty of food, but I still think there's so much better quality around town.  I know they have a ton of fans and maybe it's for stuff besides the tacos.  So if you're out after last-call, try them out and let us know if it's something besides the tacos we should be having!

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:


Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment