Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #24 - Lalos Express - S Seneca

Another week, another taco joint. And yes, I'm a week behind. Oh well......I'm slacking on writing this one, probably because this one got me all excited when the plate arrived and left me a little disappointed when it was done. This week's (ok, last week's) entry in our quest for tacos comes courtesy of Lalo's Express on S. Seneca.


LE is situated in what looks like an old Taco Bell or similar type building on Seneca, just north of Pawnee. When I arrived I was pretty happy to see there were quite a few people here. So I hoped that meant we were in for a tasty round. This is fast food style service - order at the counter, pick 'em up, and eat at your table. Thing 1 and Thing 2 had already ordered, so I went straight to the counter. First thing I noticed is there are a ton of selections available, both for tacos and other Mexican food. I decided to pare my choices down to four: a fried fish taco, a lengua, an asada, and an al pastor.


After a pretty short wait, my tacos arrived and they looked great! I was ready to get into them, so I decided to start with the fish taco. The fish taco came with what basically turned out to be a fish stick, with lettuce, tomato, onion, and a tartar sauce type of dressing. Overall, it was very mediocre, I thought the fish was pretty low quality frankly. The lengua and asada were next. Both had plenty of tender, well cooked meat and were dressed in onion, cilantro, and tomato. The meat for these two was definitely better than the fish, but it seemed to lack any real seasoning. No kick, nothing. I threw some salsa and lime on them and they were decent tacos. But nothing to wow over. The al pastor taco was last and was definitely the best of the bunch. The pork was cooked in a nice peppery seasoning that wasn't too overwhelming, maybe even a little too subtle for my tastes. But compared to the steak and lengua, it was practically a taste explosion.


In summary, I'd say it was a fair plate of tacos. Not horrible by any stretch, but I'm not sure I would go out of my way to go back. If I'm in the area though, I would stop in again for the al pastor and maybe to try some other options on the menu. There seem to be a lot of happy people in there, but I also noticed that not many of them were eating tacos. Anyway, here's my overall rankings on the 5 Taco Scale:


Food Quality - 2.5 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 3.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 2.5 Tacos
Service - 4.0 Tacos
Overall Experience - 2.5 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 2.5 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment