Search This Blog

Friday, July 28, 2017

Travis - Taco Tour stop #25 - Casa Del Charro - 2227 N Arkansas

I've heard some good things about Casa Del Charro, so when Shon mentioned it, I thought it might be a good place to check out.  They are in the old El Paisa location - and were also a crowd favorite at the Wichita Taco Fest.  So this week we headed there - and eventually doofus #1 & 2 made it there (a few minutes late).  They have maintained the restaurant very well. I was greated by very friendly staff and had no problems getting my questions answered.

First to arrive, I went ahead and took a seat and the waitress brought some chips and salsa.  I told her we were looking for a taco variety and she explained they have a taco plate with $1 authentic street tacos.  In that variety, you can get carnitas, carne asada, chicken, al pastor, and ground beef.  I told her that I figured we'd all want that but I'd let the other two decide for sure.  Chris arrived and we enjoyed the salsa - which had a sweet hint to it.  Mango? Not sure, but it was tasty - a little too sweet for my liking, but it was good.  We decided on the taco plates all around and made the decision for Shon too since he couldn't seem to make his way there on time.

Shon arrived, we explained what he was eating, and shortly after our tacos arrived.  They are definitely on the small side, but that's okay. For $1/ea, they were what I expected them to be and were definitely authentic street tacos: two tortillas, grilled onion, cilantro, and a nice helping of meat.

We all went in the same order and started with the ground beef.  It was a tasty taco - but not bold. But don't let that fool you, it was still a pretty darn good taco and the grilled onions were a very nice compliment. It's definitely one I'd get again from here.

The carne asada was next - honestly it's probably on the upper end of what we've had for asada. The steak had a really nice meaty/steaky flavor. I know that probably sounds obvious, but sometimes we get asada that doesn't have much flavor or is heavy on seasoning.  This was just a good meat flavor in every bite and again the onions complimented it well.  There was plenty of meat on the taco.

The chicken taco was next and this is probably the top chicken taco I've had on the tour. Meat was tender, not dry, and it had a nice brothy sauce with it.  We are definitely off to a great start with these first 3 tacos - if you come here, this taco needs to be on your list.

Carnitas was next - and I know I sound like a broken record, but the standard is REALLY high for carnitas.  They weren't bad here - but definitely not as much flavor as I expected.  The meat was a little dry even though there was plenty of juice running out of the taco.  It was good, but not great - nothing bold about the taste.

Last was the al pastor - which was the definition of bold taste. It had a strong kick - if you don't like spicy, you might want to avoid this one.  The other two really liked this one, but for me it just seemed like it was trying too hard.  A bit overseasoned.  If you like something with a good kick that will stick with you, you'll like this one.  It was just okay in my book.

Overall this was a great stop and I'm happy we came.  The ticket was a bit of a surprise because we were charged for chips and salsa.  We talked to the waitress about it - who by the way was very cool, very polite and helpful.  Basically if you get the dollar taco deal, they're going to add a small charge for the chips and salsa.  I don't like surprises on my bill - but truthfully the chips and salsa were good and even with that added, I still paid just under $9 with tip for the dollar taco deal.  Had I known the chips deal up-front, I would have had no problem.  I think they just need to explain it so there are no surprises.  I'll definitely be back but I'll probably remove the carnitas and al-pastor next time.

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:



Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment