Search This Blog

Friday, October 20, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #34 - Tacos Y Mas - 548 S Oliver

Well after a train wreck of texts and failed attempts we did finally get together to eat tacos for Tour Stop #34 - Tacos Y Mas. And yes, this is stop #34. For those of you wondering, Travis ditched us the week of Cholitas (Stop #33) and apparently Chris decided he hated Cholita's so much, he isn't even going to review it. Wow. So.... long story short, Tacos Y Mas IS stop #34. Comment on Travis' post and tell him to get with the program. He'll love that.


So, we get to TYM on a Thursday evening (one of our rare non lunch stops) and the place is pretty empty. Granted it was 9pm, but whatever. The restaurant is located in a small strip mall just south of Kellogg on Oliver (right next to Churn and Burn Ice Cream Shop, which is awesome by the way). Chris was already there, and cranky from all the scheduling snafus. So I sat right down and went straight to the taco section and ordered. Our waitress was quick and nice enough. Anyway, I went with 5 tacos and of course I had to try the odd stuff because Thing 1 and Thing 2 are pansies. So I went with the chorizo, asada, and al pastor as well as the buche (stomach) and lengua (tongue/cheek) tacos.


While we waited I started with some of the chips and salsa, which were ok. The mild was basically runny tomato juice, but a quick spritz of the hot green salsa livened it up. Our tacos arrived fairly quickly and looked pretty good. They came garnished with a grilled pepper, lime, and cucumber. I started with the buche, chorizo, and lengua. I enjoyed these three tacos a lot. I thought the buche and lengua were pretty tender and had a nice flavoring to them. Chris for whatever reason didn't care for the chorizo, but I thought it was pretty good. It did seem to have a slightly different taste to the spice compared to most other places. Honestly, it's a little hard to describe, but I thought it was good. The al pastor and asada tacos were also decently flavored. But they seemed to me like they weren't quite as fresh. Still, I would rate them both as above average tacos.


Overall, I'd say this was a decent find. Especially out east, where we seem to have few "go to" places for tacos. I would probably be willing to go back again, with high hopes the asada and al pastor come out a little fresher on the next round. My overall rankings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 3.0 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 3.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 3.5 Tacos
Service - 4.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 3.5 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 4.0 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment