Search This Blog

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Travis - Taco Tour stop #34 - Taco Y Mas - 552 S Oliver

Sometimes I feel like our lack of planning bites us - but I also don't see us changing our ways.  We are guys...

Anyway, somehow we decided to hit Taco Y Mas over on S Oliver, but we couldn't get there until Thursday evening. So it was definitely weird to be doing our taco tour at this time of night.  But tacos are tacos (not really, but you know what I'm saying).  So we find ourselves sitting in a fairly small diner like setting that looks fairly authentic, so I have good expectations...

Chris and Shon are already there because I'm running around like crazy since I'm driving 5+ hrs to Dallas the next day - but there's always time for tacos.  They do have an a la carte menu so I order a barbacoa, al pastor, carne asada, and a pollo.  The chips and salsa we had while we waited were just...eh.

It seems like the wait was a little longer than expected. Nobody died, but they weren't that busy so I'm not sure what the delay was.  When they arrived, they looked pretty decent and there was definitely plenty of meat.



I started with the barbacoa. It was pretty good. It definitely was tender and juicy and had a good taste. There was a little bit of fatty parts in the meat, but it wasn't anything too bad.  This was probably my favorite taco here - but bear in mind we've had better barbacoa.  This one was acceptable, but not enough to make me come rushing back.

The al pastor was next and it was slightly overcooked.  The taste wasn't bad though. It was still tender and had plenty of meat.  I must have started on the good end, because by the time I got to the other end, it was definitely more burnt. That kind of ruined it for me by the time I finished it.  I think this one had potential if it wasn't burnt.

Carne asada was next - and honestly all I remember was that it was a little overcooked, the taste was okay, and I left a little disappointed.

The pollo was last and it was a little dry.  It had an okay flavor.  There wasn't anything memorable at all - in fact this was about all I can recall about it.

Overall, for a place that looked like it should be pretty authentic, I left disappointed.  I think they have potential to be better, but maybe it was the late night.  Could it be that everything has sat around most of the day and now it's just not as good?  I don't know for sure, but frankly that's not an excuse.  If you're open, your food should be good - and this was just okay.

The summary of this visit is middle of the road and unmemorable.  If you're in the area, maybe try it at lunch and see if you fare better than we did.  Otherwise, keep looking and I think you've got better options.

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment