Search This Blog

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Travis - Taco Tour stop #31 - Taco Fajita - 1004 S Meridian

We have been hearing some good things about Taco Fajita - and since they were relatively conveniently located, we decided this was the week to go.  I can tell you - *spoiler alert* - we were not disappointed!

This is a seriously unassuming joint to walk into.  It doesn't look like much outside or inside.  But we've not been discouraged by that in the past and you shouldn't either - sometimes these are hidden gems!  There are enough tables to handle a small crowd, but even though there was a decent number of people here too, they didn't seem ready to be able to handle that many at once. Our initial orders came out very slowly.  I think it took about 20 minutes for my food to be ready - and even a little longer for Shon's.  Normally this would turn me off immediately, but patience won out today.

My order of a carne asada, al pastor, and pollo was called out from the counter and I brought it back to the table to enjoy.  These are pretty small tacos, but the $1 price is acceptable.  They only have 1 tortilla instead of a traditional 2 for a street taco.  I'm throwing a pic of the menu in here - in my haste, I didn't realize that one half of the menu was for white boys like me, and the other half was the name in Spanish.  I had intended on ordering 4 different tacos but mistakenly ordered 2 Carne Asada - ohwell!





I went for the asada first and it's definitely a pretty tasty taco to be enjoyed.  It had enough meat to be just right.  The meat was just a tiny bit chewy, but really not enough to complain about or to turn me off from getting it again.  It's a taco you should have if you come here - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The al pastor was next and again I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor.  The meat was just right, and it was a tasty combination of flavors that were good.  Again, this taco is one I'd totally get again and I can recommend it without hesitation.

The pollo was nice and tender.  The chicken was cooked right and had good flavor in the meat.  It wasn't anything super memorable - but again, you won't go wrong if you get this.

At this point I realized there were 2 more that I'd like to try (and they're only $1), so I ordered the Suadero and Choriqueso also.  They were prepared much more quickly since the rush was gone.

The suadero was slightly crunchy but tasty.  It was a little chewy and definitely had a bold flavor.  I enjoyed it, but not as much as the others.  Some will probably like this taco more than I did - it wasn't bad, just wasn't one I would rave about.

The choriqueso seemed to be rushed because it was a little burnt.  As the name suggests, there was cheese on this one.  I think the taste was okay, but being that it was burnt in a few places, that didn't help the taste.  I don't know if I'd go for this one again, but if I could get it not burnt, I might consider it.  I didn't see much that would drive me to get this one over the first 3 that were more enjoyable.

I'm glad we found this joint, because it's conveniently located and definitely one I'd try again. The $1 tacos make this value excellent! They also have some massive thing called the Machete that I feel like is my duty to conquer.  I'll have to give that a go.  Only complaints on this stop is the long wait at first, and the rush/burn job on my second order.  I'm going to ding them on service, but if you go when there's not a rush, you'll be just fine.  Otherwise, I'm down for coming here again.

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment