Search This Blog

Monday, October 30, 2017

Travis - Taco Tour stop #36 - Angela's Cafe & Cantina - 2119 W 21st

This week we finally made it to a place that has been on our list since the very beginning - or has it?  "Angela's Cafe" comes recommended frequently, but the confusing part is there is one that was located on east Central that is now closed.  So honestly, I'm not sure which one was being recommended so much.  For this stop on the tour, we went to Angela's Cafe & Cantina on 21st (just west of Amidon).

The other goofs were there already and were chomping down some chips & salsa by the time I arrived. Speaking of chips and salsa - this place definitely has the goods!  The salsa had a little heat - just about right to be enjoyable.  The chips were warm and tasty also - I think we knocked out 3 or 4 baskets before our food arrived and our waitress kept the refills coming fast.

I ordered an al pastor, a barbacoa, and a carne asada.  I was a little disappointed they didn't have a carnitas or something else, but that's okay - this should give me a good feel for what they have.  Now I just have to wait patiently for my food... and wait.... and wait...  Part of the reason we ate so many chips is that it took over 25 minutes for our food to arrive.  There were barely any other patrons here - so that's not a great sign.


The tacos finally came out and they looked a pretty skimpy on the onion and cilantro and they used only 1 tortilla.  There were also no limes served so we requested some and the waitress offered lemons.  (huh?)  Actually she went on to say they didn't have limes.  An authentic mexican restaurant with no limes?  BUT, then she found some - crisis averted.

I went to work on the carne asada first. It wasn't bad, but it was a bit oily. The flavor was acceptable.  I wouldn't put it among the best we had but it was a decent taco.

The barbacoa was next - it definitely was a little bland.  Not a lot of flavor and needed more cilantro.  Kind of a disappointment and was a little fatty also. (The taco, not Shon).

Last but not least, the al pastor! (Hopefully something redeeming). There was a nice flavor in the meat - plenty of seasoning.  I enjoyed this flavor and overall probably was the best of the trio.  Overall it was an enjoyable taco.

Overall, this stop was a little disappointing just because I had higher hopes for a stop that (I think) was recommended multiple times and has been a Wichita stop for a number of years.  The service was polite, but the initial round of tacos was VERY slow - especially considering there were like 4 other people (2 separate groups) in the place the whole lunch hour.

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment