Search This Blog

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Travis - Taco Tour stop #35 - El Mexico Cafe - 2544 S Seneca

I know I've heard of this place before - I'm pretty sure we've had several people recommend it.  El Mexico Cafe has been around for awhile now and I'm sad to say this is the first time I've graced them with my presence...  :-)

I had high hopes - they've won best taco in Wichita for like 4 years in a row and it just looked and felt like there should be some good authentic food there.  I was at an install in the morning so was rushing to get there.  The 2 stooges ordered for me and my food was brought to me almost immediately after I sat down.  So I can't really tell you for sure, but the service definitely seemed pretty good.  However 2 tacos arrived with beans and rice - so I was a little confused and my 2 cohorts looked at my knowingly.

Apparently ordering a la carte here is quite expensive. And apparently this "authentic" joint has 3 taco choices: deep fried flour ground beef, deep fried flour chicken, and monterrey.

*insert very long dramatic pause here*

Yep. Oh and the monterrey was already on the table - it's a bowl of shredded pork (carnita style), a bowl of chopped onion/tomato/pepper, and a few tortillas in foil.




At this point I'm honestly confused - but I'm also hungry so I dig into the chicken that has lettuce and shredded cheese on it.  (Seriously, am I eating a fast food taco? a bar taco? what exactly?).  At this point I make a point to tell the guys that we've seriously become taco snobs.  (And I'm not ashamed to say it).  This taco was... about as good as it sounds. Not bad, but not award winning.

I tried the ground beef next - same story. It was filled with lettuce, cheese, and disappointment. Lacking flavor or originality, I assumed that the award winning taco HAS to be the monterrey. (I left a little of my ground beef on the plate - it wasn't worth finishing.)

The monterrey was the epitome of "not bad".  The meat was obviously sitting there for a few minutes before I arrived, so I'm not going to be too harsh on it.  The flavor was okay. I didn't mind throwing my ingredients in there and making it myself. I included some "hotter-than-mild" salsa.  It was an acceptable taco. It wasn't award winning - but it wasn't bad.  If I were to come back - I won't - but if I were to come back, I'd get that.

The chips were bland and disappointing also. The rice was hard and dry (probably sitting awhile). The water was wet and cold and I drank it all - so there's that.

Have I seriously become so taco snobby that this place frustrated me to this point? Apparently so.
At least the service was pretty good!  But it still cost me about $12 bucks.  Psh - I'm a mile from Pollo Express, won't bother going here again.  Whoever voted them best tacos 4 years in a row should come talk to me...

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment