Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Taco Tour stop #1 - Taco Rio, 1022 W Douglas

Okay so starting off our Wichita Taco Tour, Chris talked us into hitting up Taco Rio.  I've never been there myself, but was skeptical.  From the outside, it's always been an unassuming place - and okay downright meek and uninteresting.  But part of the goal of the Taco Tour is to hit up places we wouldn't normally go to so we can discover hidden gems!

So, Chris picked me up and we headed to Taco Rio.  Shon hadn't arrived yet and Chris told him we weren't waiting on him.  Ironically, outside a patron was leaving and commented that it was "totally worth the wait!".  So that would bode well for my entrance into a new experience that was about to come...

Before we get too far, Taco Rio is located at 1022 W Douglas, in Wichita.  You can find their FaceBook page here: FaceBook Taco-Rio

The first thing you'll notice when you walk in, is the front counter and a menu that stretches the entire length with a lot of options on it - a bit overwhelming if you're not expecting it!  I stood in awe of an array of Mexican selections that were seemingly bigger than the entire restaurant.  Chris ordered his and Shon's selections and I pondered what I wanted to start off my taco tour with.  Obviously there needed to be a taco involved - but should I go with a combo of some sort or a la carte?  That is definitely a plus to Taco Rio - you can order either way you prefer.

I knew I wanted a taco - a classic beef taco in a corn shell. My staple taco selection everywhere I go - I had to start with that for sure.  "Hot sauce please".  That's my baseline...  Seeing a taco burger on the menu, I felt compelled to add that too.  I know many of you think a taco burger is a bit "low class" - well I've never been mistaken for "high-class", so, whatever. :-)  Last but not least, it's important to know how good chips are wherever I go, so I picked that as well and ended my selection with a medium Dr Pepper.  (They're a Coke place - sorry, but that's a tick against them for me, but I know some of you will prefer that).  All for $6 bucks and change - not bad. Not great for "fast food", but not horrible.

It was a short wait and my number was called - they were speedy and polite. My drink in a styro cup was on the tray along with a ziploc bag of chips, a nicely wrapped taco burger as well as the taco.

Taco first - nice and crispy and tasty for a budget taco. No complaints. Plenty of meat, cheese, and lettuce. Not going to win any awards, but for an inexpensive taco, my expectations were met.

The taco burger was good.  Honestly it's hard to mess up a taco burger.  It did seem a little pricy for what was being offered.  It's a taco without a shell and slapped on a bun - honestly I don't see why it needs to be over $2 bucks, but okay...  Plenty of meat. It's not going to fill you up, but it's going to be the right amount of everything to be pleasant.

The chips were thin - which I personally enjoy.  I enjoy chips with my salsa, so I served myself a cup full of their "green chili salsa" (which is red).  I like spicy food - moreso than the average person. But I like to enjoy the heat and it needs to add to the experience, not remind me of it an hour later (or 4 hours later).  This was the right blend of flavor and kick - I definitely recommend it!  Scooped onto a thin, crispy chip, it was the right way to end my meal.

The Dr. Pepper cleansed the palate nicely and they have the good crushed/crunchy ice!  I refilled once and enjoyed my refreshing beverage quite enthusiastically.

In summary, the food was what I would expect from a fast-food Mexican restaurant.  It had small feeling of sort of traditional Mexican without being too "fast-foody" - if that makes any sense.  The taco was crisp and tasty and what you would expect.  The taco burger was meaty but not a great value. The chips were good and I highly recommend the green chili sauce to accompany them.  Overall the restaurant was small and humble on the inside - but it was clean and felt pleasant with fast and polite service.

Out of 5 tacos, here's my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service: 
Overall: 
Likelihood to return: 

No comments:

Post a Comment