Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Taco Tour Stop #2 - Saying Good Bye to Cortez Mexican Restaurant!

So..... you're back for round two? A second helping, if you will? If so, our thanks to you for reading our blog. What started out as a bit of a pastime/joke/challenge is quickly becoming a taco OBSESSION as we decide where/when to go, what restaurants to put on the list, and when to post apparently (judging by my blog-mates constant texts to me to get my review up....... Jeez). Is it possible to take tacos too seriously?!?!? I guess we'll see as the year goes on.....


After starting out with a typical fast food option (see our prior posts on Taco Tour Stop #1 - Taco Rio), Chris recommended we switch it up and go to a more traditional sit down restaurant. Since there's been plenty of news about Cortez closing, we decided to hit the place up one more time before they close.


We showed up at 1130am on Wednesday - the main dining room was closed and they were only using the small dining area by the bar. Initially, we were one of the few people there, but the place picked up by noon. Travis said he'd NEVER been there before (being a life long Wichitan, he seriously damaged his Taco credentials) and I hadn't been there in several years. We were greeted immediately and our waitress gave us a not too enthused breakdown of the menu. Our chips and salsa came and was so-so. She said that she was giving us hot and mild salsas but I honestly couldn't tell the difference. I went with the taco plate (two tacos and rice for 7.99 - one fried flour chicken taco, and a corn beef taco) and added a third taco with chorizo on a corn shell. My memory of the place being a little foggy, I was immediately thinking that it sounded a little expensive for just two tacos. Then they brought them out and I remembered - these ain't your Taco Rio-sized junior tacos. My fried flour chicken taco was delicious - the chicken was well seasoned, tender, and plentiful - but only lasted about 30 seconds before it magically transformed into a chicken taco salad. The shell lasted all of one bite before crumbling onto my plate. I tried to inform the waitress that I was on a Taco Tour, not a Taco Salad Tour but she would have none of it. This wasn't an isolated instance of taco abuse, as all of our flour tacos seemed to meet the same unfortunate end. Still, it made for a tasty chicken salad. I thought my beef taco was fine - nothing special, but 3 steps above Taco Rio for sure. My main complaint about the beef taco was that they mixed in some potatoes which dilutes the meaty flavor. If I want meat and potatoes, I'll go to Texas Roadhouse and get a steak and fries. Yes I know a lot of places do it. And no, I don't care. My chorizo taco looked delicious, which maybe explains why I was somewhat disappointed in it. It wasn't a bad taco (is there even such a thing?!?!), but it looked like it was going to be a delightfully spicy end to my meal and ended up being ...... fine. Which is probably an apt description of my entire lunch. Overall, I would rate my taco experience as follows on the 5 Taco Scale:
Food Quality - 3.5 Tacos
Price - $-$$
Value - 3.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.0 Tacos
Service - 3.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 3.5 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - considering that they're closing, I'd say zero Tacos. But if they reopen, I'd bump it to 3.5 Tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment