Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #41 - Alondra's Tacos - 1580 W 21st St N

Well, my apologies for getting this review out so slowly. Time to play catch up after the holidays!! This stop was one recommended by our reader, Mick. It actually wasn't on our radar to go to that day, but after going to Peleteria Reyna and finding it closed, then going to Mr. Taco and not finding any seating, we decided to hit this place up. Speaking of Mr. Taco, if you try to Google Alondra's or Mr. Taco, there seems to be some overlap - maybe same owners, maybe Alondra's split off, moved...who knows? Anyway, they are, apparently, two separate places. Feel free to clarify any of this for our readers in the comment section


Anyway, we got there and almost turned around again because the sign said "cash only". So be prepared. After taking stock of our cash situation, we went ahead and went in. You basically step up to the counter and order and they bring it out to you, fast food style. I liked the wider variety of meats and since I knew Thing 1 and Thing 2 were going to be pansies (as usual) I decided to go off the usual path a little bit with my taco order. I went with 4 tacos: asada, al pastor, cabeza (cow head), and lengua (cow tongue). It took me a little bit to get my order through and pay because there was a definite language barrier between me and the lady at the register.


Once our order was in, the tacos came in quick fashion. They looked pretty tasty, although there was nearly an entire salad's worth of cilantro on top. After thinning out the cilantro a little, I threw some lime on top and dug in. My taco mates, as usual, miss some tasty tacos by sticking to their standard chicken/steak/pork orders. The cabeza and lengua were both tasty tacos and very tender. Lightly seasoned, but still pretty tasty. The al pastor was probably my favorite though, as it had a little more kick to it and plenty of meat. My taco mates thought some of it was a little chewy but I didn't think that was the case. The asada on the other hand, was a little drier and chewier than the other three. Not a horrible taco, but definitely the bottom of the four I ordered.


Overall, I thought Alondra's was a pretty decent stop and I would say if you're in the area you should definitely check them out. I will probably stop in again to try the chicken and get more of the lengua and al pastors for sure. My overall ratings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 3.0 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 3.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 2.5 Tacos
Service - 3.0 Tacos
Overall Experience - 3.0 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 3.0 Tacos



2 comments:

  1. The amount of cilantro was seriously over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The amount of cilantro was seriously over the top.

    ReplyDelete