Search This Blog

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Can great tacos overcome terrible service?

Today was our first taco truck at El Pollo Dorado al Carbon. Google translate says something about The Golden Chicken Carcon. Not sure what the heck a carcon is but oh well.

Full disclaimer here, this is my first time choosing to go to abandon brick and mortar restaurants any sort of food truck. Not entirely sure how I feel about the entire food truck craze.

The setup of this place is...different. They have a tiny parking lot with a truck and carport with tables and mismatched chairs underneath. There is another area with a big grill and smoker where the delicious odors of chicken comes from.

While ordering, I found it odd that their menu had the same tacos were listed in separate categories with different prices. I tried to ask some questions about what I was ordering but there was a major communication issue as the employees speak EXTREMELY LIMITED English. I think I ordered three tacos and a drink.

The drink issue is a whole different animal. The drinks are in a cooler, with nasty brown ice/water at the bottom. Not only are the pop cans nasty but you can choose between Coke and Sprite.

While travis was ordering, they decided to take a to go order while he stood there looking dumb.

While waiting for our food, we hear some gals ordering their food discussing some magical lunch special that we had no clue about.

The food does smell good...

After a longer than expected wait, it turns out I ordered 4 tacos...

On to the tacos... They have carbón right in their name but didn't have carbón tacos today. I don't know what a carbón taco is, but I wanted one. They DID have steak, alpastor and chicken tacos.

The steak tacos are delicious. They meat is tender with the right amount of seasoning and flavor. Add a little like juice and some of their amazing spicy red salsa and this taco is fantastic!

The chicken tacos are made with the whole chickens they chop up from the grill and smoker I mentioned earlier. The flavor is good but not like the steak taco. I will NEVER eat another of their chicken tacos as I bit down on a chunk of bone and tore up the roof of my mouth. Risk vs reward, the steak is a safer option.

The al pastor tacos had awesome flavor and texture. They were spicier than some of the others we have reviewed but still very manageable.

After finishing a plate of tacos that cost 6.50, I ordered the exact same plate again, only to be charged $4. The third time I went back, they wanted $5 for the same order. There is no rhyme or reason for why they charge what they charge.

Today's experience has me questioning whether a delicious taco can overcome piss poor customer service. The answer is no.

This is by far the hardest place to review because the taco's are delicious. But the service and overall experience are TERRIBLE. There is no nicer way to word it.

Service- 🌮
Quality of food- 🌮🌮🌮
Amount of meat on each taco- 🌮🌮🌮🌮
Overall value- 🌮🌮🌮
Overall experience- 🌮🌮

No comments:

Post a Comment