Search This Blog

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #12 - Uno Mas Taco Truck

Spring break week. Not exactly the easiest time to coordinate schedules for a group lunch/review. As it turned out, we weren't able to make things work during our regular time. The good news? It allowed us to catch up (on a whim, thanks to Chris) with one of the local trucks we were all wanting to try. And it gave us an excuse to go to The Wichita Gun Club's Anniversary celebration last Saturday. Guns, friends, and tacos. All we needed was a beer!!


Chris texted on 30 minutes notice that Uno Mas was going to be in the lot for the Gun Club, so naturally we HAD to go. Of course, it would've helped if it was about 10 degrees warmer, but hey... we had tacos. So no complaining allowed. Anyway, when we approached the truck the first thing I noticed was that this seemed like a much nicer operation than our first truck experience at El Dorado Pollo. The staff actually spoke English, so that was a huge plus. The second thing I noticed was that tacos were $3.00 each. I could actually hear the blood rush to my head as bad memories of still being hungry after paying $15.00 for tacos at District Taqueria began to fill my brain. Heck with it, price was out the window - I hadn't had breakfast yet and the tacos smelled AWESOME! So I started with four tacos - Adovo Chicken, Al Pastor, Barbacoa, and Chorizo.




I placed my order and after a fairly short wait, I received my tacos. The tacos came garnished with onion and cilantro. There was some white cheese and a white cream sauce on the chicken. I started with the Al Pastor and it was very tasty. Nice spice to it, but not hot. And not so juicy that you made a mess everywhere. The chorizo and the barbacoa were also very tasty tacos. Plenty of meat in all of the tacos and a nice flavor - nice mix of peppers and spices to all of the meat. Last was the chicken. The chicken was tender and full of flavor. The avocado crema was a nice contrast to both the chicken and the other tacos. This one had a nice mix of flavors and was probably my favorite taco of the four. Once I had devoured these four, I felt a couple of empty spots still begging for more. I PROBABLY could've just left after only eating four..... but nawwwww......who knows when I'll catch this truck again. And I really wanted to try the fish and the breakfast taco. So.... two more ordered. The breakfast taco was ok. Nothing special - egg, chorizo, white cheese. A decent taco, but not my favorite. Then I had the fish taco, fried. After the chicken, this was a strong #2 for the day. It had a vinegary slaw on top of a nice plank of fried fish. I loved the flavor contrasts of the slaw and the fried fish which was cooked perfectly and was NOT just a tiny sliver of fish surrounded by a ton of fried batter. Even though my bill for the day approached $20.00, I was definitely filled when I left and didn't feel cheated (unlike the handful of tacos I devoured at District).


I'm looking forward to catching this truck again and enjoying some more of their tasty offerings. Hopefully on a nicer day than it was last Saturday. My overall rankings on the 5 taco scale are below:


Food Quality - 4.5 Tacos
Price - $-$$
Value - 3.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 3.5 Tacos
Service - 4.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 4.5 Tacos
Likelihood to return - 4.5 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment