Search This Blog

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Taco Tour Stop #9 - El Pollo Dorado Taco Truck @ 21st & Wellington

This week we went to El Pollo Dorado - which is a "permanent" taco truck located at 21st & Wellington.  And I'm just going to be honest, this was an odd experience - so bear with me.  This review probably won't read like any of the others...

I arrived and the other 2 dorks were already in line (yeah I was slightly late).  When you pull up, the truck is parked in a parking lot next to a semi-permanent car port, the cook is located about 20 feet away at another grill, and there is another building on the parking lot where I guess the supplies are stored.  This is an outdoor establishment.

The aroma - MY GOD - the aroma is awesome.  Seriously - I could sit there and just smell the dude cooking chicken. It was amazing.  Side note: I left my truck windows open and I was downwind - when I left, I enjoyed the aroma all the way home!

She was out of carbon so I ordered 2 Pollo (chicken), 2 steak, and an al pastor taco plus a can of pop which was located in a cooler sitting on the ground.  I didn't look in the cooler - but apparently the water was...brown.  Ohwell, I wasn't drinking the water.

It took awhile to get our tacos, and there was some drama in line while we waited.  In fact someone stormed off pissed off.  Oops.  It definitely wasn't organized but I think the language barrier was part of the problem.  I also got the feeling that ordering a variety of tacos is sort of not the norm and may have caused some confusion.  As we had several conversations with people around us, we determined that we should be getting a half-chicken or the lunch special.  (Maybe next time).

When our tacos finally arrived they were delivered out the window in a plastic bag and a styrofoam container.  The cook ran up a minute later with napkins for us.  In case you haven't figured it out, this isn't high-class cuisine (but neither am I).  Even though I ordered 5 tacos, there were only 4 in my container - I think she missed the second pollo taco.

As far as taste, all of these tacos were pretty good.  The steak tacos were seasoned well and the meat was tender.  I would absolutely order these again.  The al pastor was decent but nothing to write home about.  The chicken taco was very tasty but I did encounter 2 hard bits that I suspect was bone.  Since the cook was over there chopping chicken into smaller pieces with a large knife, I gathered that it probably didn't make sense to say anything about it.  So I tossed the 2 bits on the ground and shut up.  The chicken taco was very flavorful.  I really enjoyed it and I would definitely like to go back for the lunch special or just to order a chicken.  I had heard that this was THE place to get chicken - touted as the best in town.  The grill seemed to be seasoned very well - but don't go here expecting great service.

I also wouldn't go here expecting them to be meeting or exceeding any health code regulations!  The other guys ordered additional tacos and each time their total was different - so we're not totally sure how the pricing worked either.

Having said that, I'm going to give them a decent value rating because I think I only spent $5.50 for 4 tacos and a pop - but I could have eaten more.  The experience was odd, confusing, but it did include tasty tacos - so I can't really complain about much.  It was a fun and unique experience - so I'm likely to go back sometime and try the lunch special.


Out of 5 tacos, here are my rankings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment