Search This Blog

Monday, March 13, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #10 - El Gordo Mexican Restaurant

Well........not sure what the deal is with Thing 1 and Thing 2, but for the 3rd week in a row we seem to be dealing with chaos during our lunch outing. As you'll recall, 2 weeks ago, Chris picked out a place that wasn't even open for lunch. Last week Travis picked a delicious stop with crappy service and questionable food handling skills. This week, they decided to team up to once again pick a place that wasn't open for lunch. They tried to blame this on me, but were shut down upon presentation of the damning evidence (in the form of their text messages) implicating them in this ridiculousness. So, after everyone got to MoJoe's, I made an executive decision to hit El Gordo's Restaurant at Central and Greenwich in east Wichita.


Upon arrival, my initial reaction was that the place looked promising. It was in a newer looking building and people were beginning to line up around 1145. It's not super fancy, but way nicer than the taco truck situation we had to deal with last week. Anyway, you walk in and order at the counter and wait for your number to be called. I ordered four tacos: carne asada, chicken, tripe, and chorizo. The chorizo taco wasn't on the menu, but they made it for me anyway. As I waited, I saw several tasty looking plates of food go by and when I got my plate I was pretty happy with what I was looking at.


Aaaaannnnnnndddddd....... that's where the happiness ends. Complete opposite of last week. The taco truck looked questionable, served up amazingly tasty tacos. This place looked SO promising..... served up bland, plain tacos. Seriously? Worst of all, after brow beating Thing 1 and Thing 2, I now had to endure my fair share for bringing us to this place. I really don't have much to say about the tacos other than that. The presentation looked good, and there was a little bar with a variety of salsas to pick from, which was kinda handy. Especially since I needed the salsas just to give the tacos SOME kind of flavor. But none of the meat had any real flavors to them. Maybe we were spoiled after Molino's and El Dorado, but man..... the meat tasted almost as if it was completely naked - no seasonings, no sauce, nothing. So my apologies, but that's all I got. Serve me bland, disappointing, tacos and you're going to get a bland, disappointing review.


My overall ratings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 1.5 Tacos
Price - $-$$
Value - 2.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.0 Tacos
Service - 3.0 Tacos
Overall Experience - 2.0 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 2.0 Tacos - only scores this high in this category because people are saying we should try other items and NOT tacos. Guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment