Search This Blog

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #13 - Joe's Bar and Grill in Oldtown

So.......13 weeks in and we're JUST NOW getting to one of our old standbys - Joe's Bar and Grill. I believe it was during one of our many jaunts here for their $1 Taco Tuesday specials, that Chris actually brought up the idea of doing the Taco Tour in the first place. So, a special thanks to Joe's for being part of our inspiration for the tour. Outside of that.... well.... they REALLY should pay us for any exposure we give them, taco-wise. Okay, maybe it's not THAT BAD, but you'll see what I'm getting at shortly.


In case you haven't noticed, I'm a bit more of a "taco snob" than Chris and Travis. I'm pretty sure if they can get 6 tacos for free from the bottom of a dumpster, they would rate them high on the value scale and be happy to have them. I mean we're talking about a pair of dudes who eat at Taco Shop, Taco Bell, and Taco Rio and actually claim the tacos to be tasty. Personally, I like a tastier, more authentic, taco made with actual meat. Which brings us to Joe's.


We started coming here because of the value. We ended up coming back because of ... well... the value. They're cheap bar tacos. This isn't a place to come if you're looking for a gourmet meal. No other taco options, although there's plenty of other food choices. Pretty standard tex-mex style tacos - seasoned ground beef, lettuce, tomato, with salsa and sour cream on the sides. We'd been here so often, the guys had actually ordered my tacos before I arrived. Despite that, we STILL had to wait almost half an hour before we actually got our food. And once delivered our waitress completely disappeared. To be fair, our service isn't normally that slow, but they picked a bad day to leave us hanging. So no taco options. Not a gourmet taco place. Not high on ambience. Yet..... for bar tacos? Not a bad option. I always seem to get a fairly decent bowl of cheap tacos. Plenty of meat, and today's seemed to have an extra dash of seasoning in it. Also, one of the things I like about Joe's is the shell - a nice thick fried flour shell, that holds the taco in pretty well. You clamp down on it and it's almost like eating a fried taco pie. Taco wise I felt like I got a decent deal for the 4 bucks and change that I paid for my tacos. If the service would've been half decent, I'd have been a fairly happy camper.


So to summarize - NOT a taco place, but a high value bar option on Tuesdays for the special. If you're in for some tacos that are cheap like some of the fast food options, but made with actual meat and about 2-3 steps better (in my opinion) then Joe's is the place for you. My overall ratings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 3.0 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 4.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 3.0 Tacos
Service 1.5 Tacos (not normally this bad, but it was today)
Overall Experience - 3.0 Tacos
Likelihood To Return - 4.5 Tacos



1 comment: