Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Taco Tour Stop # 13 - Joe's Old Town Bar and Grill - 222 N Washington

This week I had 2 business-related stops near here, so we decided we'd hit Joe's Oldtown Bar & Grill this week.  Full disclosure: we've been to Joe's before on quite a few occasions because they have a Taco Tuesday special for $1 tacos.

Firstly, this place is always easy to get to and plenty of parking during the day for lunch.  I've not been there at night, so I can't speak to that.  Chris and I arrived about 11:30 (and waited on Shon for another 15).  Chris ordered 4 kiddie tacos, I ordered 3 adult tacos, and we ordered Shon 4 adult tacos shortly before his arrival.

Here's where Joe's doesn't shine: they're SLOOOWWW.  It was a full 30 min from the time we ordered until the tacos were in front of us.  30 min on a Tuesday lunch when tacos are your "specialty" for that day.  Oh, and yes they had people there but they weren't slammed.  30 min for tacos to arrive is too long - even if you were slammed.

So I definitely wouldn't go here if you're in a hurry or if you're looking for a variety of tacos.  Once the tacos did arrive, they were exactly as expected (since we've had them before).  Deep fried flour shells with meat, cheese, lettuce, and tomato (unless you order them kiddie-style like Chris).  A side of sour cream and a side of salsa accompanies them.  Today the tacos seemed a little light on meat (TWSS) - but they still tasted pretty good.  I don't like sour cream on my tacos so I threw that junk across the room (not really) but I did put the salsa on each one.  Overall, they are tasty tacos.  Not going to win any taco awards - but if you like a "bar-style" taco, I don't think you'll be disappointed.  Especially if you're only paying a buck each for them - pretty good on the value scale.  The combination of ingredients today was good and I'd actually say even better than it has been in the past.  Not sure why, but maybe because I was just in the mood for something different and we hadn't been here for a few months.

The restaurant itself is fine, it's not dirty, the service is generally acceptable, and the water is watery.  Don't plan on coming here if you have a short lunch hour.  Also, even though we've had this particular waitress before (and she's polite), it seemed like she disappeared once the tacos hit the table.  We were done for quite awhile before she came to bring our tickets (and even then we had to flag her down).  So, I'm going to ding them on service, but overall I think as long as you're okay with a wait, you'll find Joe's an acceptable place to eat.  For what it's worth, they do have other good food too - but this is a taco review.

Overall, here's my ratings out of 5 tacos:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment