Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #36 - Angela's Cafe - 21st and Amidon

Let me start by apologizing up front, as I've been a little slow on the uploads lately. After being out of town last week with Thing 1 and Thing 2, (and not finding any decent tacos on the road), we basically took last week off. Then, I remembered huh.... I actually hadn't posted my review from the week before either. So, time to catch up on my notes from a long time local favorite: Angela's Café.


When speaking with people about Angela's they always seem to recommend the downtown location (now closed) or the one at Kellogg and Greenwich (is it even open?). Since we were all out west, we actually decided to hit the location at 21st and Amidon. My first impression was that it was a decent little mom and pop place. But for a spot that people always seem to talk about it, it was incredibly dead for a midweek lunch hour. I think we only saw 4 other people come in the whole time. Anyway, we were greeted immediately by our waitress who did a pretty decent job of keeping our drinks and chips filled. They chips and salsa here are pretty good, but I would recommend going with the "hot" salsa which was really more of a good "medium" and provided a nice kick. We placed our order (I went with the barbacoa, asada, al pastor, and a ground beef taco on a fried flour shell) and waited. Chris about pitched a fit as it took nearly a half hour to get our tacos and he was getting extremely HANGRY. Considering that the place was basically empty, that's wholly unacceptable. But our waitress at least did her part to make the service as good as it could be.


When the tacos finally arrived, they didn't look half bad. I started with the ground beef. Honestly, I don't know why I bother ordering them anymore, but I do. But really, they all seem to taste about the same. Nothing special about it: meat, lettuce, cheese, tomato. Better with a little salsa on it. The barbacoa was decent. Not a horrible taco, but a little light on flavor. But the meat was plentiful and tender. The asada was also a decent taco, I would rate it slightly above average compared to the other asada tacos we've had. Lastly was the al pastor. Finally a redeeming taco! I thought this taco was quite tasty and had a nice peppery flavor to it. Decent amount of tender, tasty pork. Definitely the best of the bunch.


Overall, I would say the tacos were ok, with a nice surprise in the al pastor. I could definitely see myself stopping in for a plate full of pastor tacos. I but I would make sure you're not in a hurry. My overall  rankings on the 5-Taco scale are below.


Food Quality - 3.0 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 3.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 2.5 Tacos
Service - Waitress - 5.0 Tacos Cook - 1.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 3.0 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 3.0 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment