Search This Blog

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #37 - Connie's Mexican Cafe - 2227 N Broadway

So, I've noticed something weird. If you ask Wichitans "Where's a great place to get Mexican food?" quite a few people will mention Connie's on North Broadway. But if you ask "Where's a great place to get tacos?" it seems like they rarely get mentioned..... and yesterday when we hit the place up for the Tour, we found out why.


I've driven by Connie's a bunch and even though I've lived here for 18 years, I've never actually eaten there. When I arrived I had good feelings, initially: the place is in a janky building on the north side of town and it had that "Mom and Pop, Hole-in-the-wall" kind of vibe going that usually results in great tacos. Not to mention a decent lunch crowd already in the building at 1130am. We found a booth (no tables, and definitely no BIG booths, so don't plan on getting a party of more than 4 people together here) and were greeted immediately with chips and salsa. I really enjoyed the hot salsa here, finally something with more than just a little kick to it. Great start until..... taco menu. Two tacos. Ground beef and chicken. Fried flour shells. That's it. At $3.50/each. Bummer. So, I did the only thing I could and ordered one of each.


The tacos got there FAST! Which was a major plus if you're there for lunch. Standard lettuce and tomato on top. No cheese which we thought was odd, since Chrissy ordered his "kiddie style" and got cheese on his. Anyway, I started with my ground beef taco. Travis seemed to have issues with his shell (all the time, so I'm starting to think it may be him that's the problem) but mine actually stayed together. I thought the ground beef taco was ok. The beef seemed a little short on flavor and there were peas and potatoes in the mixture which seemed to be more of a filler than a flavor enhancer. But I thought the chicken taco was really pretty good. Nice flavor, juicy, plenty of meat. Really a pretty good taco.


Overall, the visit left me a little.... wanting. Wanting more taco choices, etc. But I wouldn't say that anything happened that would keep me from coming back. The service was great, the chips and salsa were excellent, and the chicken was tasty. And there seemed to be a lot of happy people in the joint. But when I come back, I will probably be looking for a chicken burrito or some enchiladas. My overall ratings on the 5-Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - Beef - 2.0 Tacos Chicken - 4.0 Tacos
Price - $-$$
Value - 2.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.0 Tacos
Service - 4.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 3.0 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 3.5 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment