Search This Blog

Monday, November 20, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #38 - Peleterias Tropicana - 2021 N Amidon Ave Ste 115

A few weeks back a conversation started on our page about places to go and someone had mentioned that we needed to hit Peleterias Tropicana. Honestly, when I initially looked into it, I put this one on the back burner because everything I could find on it talked about deserts and drinks and NOTHING about tacos. But, we trusted our followers, and on Travis' suggestion, we decided to check them out last week. In the end, I was glad that we did!


Peleterias is in the strip mall on the southwest corner of 21st St N and Amidon, kinda tucked back on the south side of the parking lot. My first impression when I entered was that this was an ice cream shop - there were tons of tasty deserts and drinks posted everywhere. The bright colored décor definitely screamed "ice cream shop!" But, on one side of the menu, the place had a listing for tortas, tacos, and other food items. The taco menu is pretty straight forward: soft shell tacos with steak, chicken or pork. You could get a plate of 3 soft tacos for $5.99 and they also had the El Dorado Tacos plate, which was 6 fried shell tacos, for $6.99. Of course I wanted to try them all, so I ordered one of each of the soft tacos and then ordered a plate of the El Dorados to share with Thing 1 and Thing 2.


Our tacos came out after just a few minutes, with two salsas and grilled onion on the side. I started with the steak tacos. The steak was pretty good, lots of tender meat. Kind of a plain taco, but not too bad with some salsa and onion on it. Next up was the pork taco. This one had a little bit more flavor to it and was a good taco with a nice handful of seasoned pork. Last was the chicken - this one was the definite winner for today. The chicken had a nice flavorful spicy kick to it. Not hot by any means, but really juicy and lots of seasoned meat. The El Dorado tacos were basically hard shelled versions of what I just described. But the shells were really light and almost flaky. They were topped with avocado, sour cream, and lettuce (all of which the other two goofs took off, but which I really enjoyed.) When we were done, I think we were unanimous that finally found some really good fried shell tacos. Finally.


In the end, I felt bad that we hadn't made it here sooner. The tacos were tasty, the service was simple but quick, and price wise it wasn't too bad of a deal. Plus I'm looking forward to going back and getting a taste of some of the deserts some time soon. My overall rankings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 4.0 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 4.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.5 Tacos
Service - 3.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 4.0 Tacos
Likelihood To Return - 5.0 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment