Search This Blog

Monday, November 20, 2017

Travis - Taco Tour stop #38 - Paleterias Tropicana - 2021 N Amidon


We were SORT of planning in advance this week - somehow the task fell on my shoulders so I looked back to see if anyone following us had recommended somewhere we hadn't been yet. I stumbled onto 2 recommendations and the one that stuck out was Paleterias Tropicana because it was an ice cream shop that also served tacos!  *Unicorn Alert!*  I mean I like both tacos and ice cream, is it possible this place has both?!  So we set out to find out how it was.

Chris arrived a little early and texted us immediately - wondering if we had the right place.  When I arrived it definitely was a unique spot - a long counter running the length of the place definitely gave it that ice cream shop feel. Bold colors and lots of them and weird little bench/booth seats - a unique (odd) atmosphere to say the least.

Anyway, not deterred, we see tacos on the menu so sat and reviewed our choices.  The taco choices were short - but the menu was long.  Lots of options for smoothies and other desserts and a decent selection of hot foods (Mexican) as well.  I opted for 3 tacos for $5.99: carne asada, chicken tinga, and cochinita pibil (pork).  The other two guys ordered the same thing and Shon added a shared plate of 4 tacos dorados (crunchy tacos, cotija cheese, sour cream, avacado, and cabbage).



The tacos came out fairly quickly and even though they look a little bare, the amount of meat and the smell had me predicting good results.  Double tortillas - but they were a darker color. Wheat? Honestly I'm not entirely sure.  LOTS of meat.  The asada had cilantro and onion on the taco but the other two were just meat. However on the side were grilled onions and grilled jalapenos.  I had a good feeling about this!

I dove into the pork first - it was tender and flavorful. I added grilled onions and some sauce but it still seemed like it needed something. Oh, I forgot lime juice - now it was complete.  Overall pretty tasty - the tortillas were a bit odd, but not in a bad way.

Asada was next and I was not disappointed.  It was tender and juicy with a good flavor.  The normal onions and cilantro were expected and I added some red sauce and lime. I definitely enjoyed this taco.

The chicken was last and it had plenty of meat.  The chicken was tender and full of flavor.  It had a little kick to it but not enough to bother me - this taco was pretty good even though the different tortillas still gave it an odd touch.

Last but not least I decided to try one of the shared dorado tacos (sorry, no pic). I am NOT a fan of sour cream or cabbage - and both were drizzled on the outside of the shell.  I dumped off most of it and took a bite. I'm going to say it now, this is the best fried taco we've had on the tour so far. The shell was crispy and light, the flavor was yummy. This was a dang good taco (even with the remnant of sour cream).  I really like this taco!  It makes me wonder what their empanadas are like - but that will have to wait for another visit.

Overall, this place was a bit of a surprise, but it was good.  The odd tortillas stuck out a little but the tacos were still quite enjoyable - especially the fried ones.  The service was friendly and quick and the place was decorated well and looked up beat.  The seats are goofy, but whatever.  Sadly, I decided to try their desserts another time - but that just gives me an excuse to come back.  (And I will definitely be back.)

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment