Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Travis - Taco Tour stop #37 - Connie's Mexico Cafe - 2227 N Broadway

I kind of have this funny feeling this review won't go over well with some of our followers... Anyway, this week we hit a long-standing Wichita restaurant - Connie's Mexico Cafe on N Broadway.

I arrived just before 11:30 and Chris was already seated, had 3 waters on the table and chips and salsa already in his mouth.  This place has been here a long time - I'm not even sure how long.  I think I've been here long ago but not for quite awhile - and not since I've become a self-proclaimed taco snob.  It's a quaint little place with a few booths that are apparently built for guys smaller than me.  The chips and salsa were good - crunchy and a nice kick to the salsa.  The waitress was quick, friendly, and attentive.  My Dew arrived quickly and Shon showed up shortly after me. The taco selection is disappointing - only 2 different deep-fried flour tacos (beef and chicken).  No street tacos.  #sadface

I ordered 1 of each just like the other 2 guys (except Chris's kid-friendly versions).  They arrived very fast - maybe even the fastest service we've had on the tour to date!  The weird thing is Chris's looked a little different - loads of cheese and ours didn't. Still not sure why but oh well.

I went to work on the beef taco first.  For as fast as this thing arrived it hadn't sat long but yet it was still a little soggy and frankly a little disappointing.  As I continued to take bites, I wasn't impressed - especially when I realized it has peas on it.  Peas... on a taco.  Why?  Anyway, deep fried flour, beef, peas, lettuce, and apparently potatoes... I just didn't think much of it.  A bit soggy, a bit bland. It wasn't bad, but I've had better deep fried tacos at a bar.  I expected better.

The next taco was the chicken. Honestly it wasn't bad - and it wasn't as soggy as the beef.  The flavor of the chicken was decent.  The chicken was tender and not dry.  I'd prefer this taco instead of the beef if I come back.  But overall it wasn't enough for me to remember this place for their tacos.

From a pure taco tour standpoint, this place will not rank high.  However before all of our followers revolt, I know this place has really good Mexican food - I just don't feel like the tacos are a strength.  Also, even though she forgot to charge me for my drink, I still paid over $9 with tax & tip for 2 tacos.  So the value wasn't great either.

I want to come back here again and get something else besides tacos. I know I won't be disappointed - but if you're after tacos only, just go elsewhere.  Sorry, Connie's is just barely among the average for that.  Disclaimer: I am giving them a higher "likelihood to return" score, because I know they're better than this for other food.

Out of 5 tacos, here are my rankings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment