Search This Blog

Monday, May 15, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #16 - Los Cocos Mexican Restaurant

Well, you may have noticed that we didn't post a Taco Tour Review last week. Originally, Thing 1 (Travis) wasn't able to make it out for tacos on Cinco De Mayo. So after Chris and I revoked Travis' Taco Card, he and I decided to hit Los Cocos in Derby for some tacos. Then last week, as we tried to figure out where to go, I threw out the option of hitting the Los Cocos at 13th and Tyler as well. So this is our first foray into a multi-location review - both locations for Los Cocos Mexican Restaurants.


It had been a while since I had been to either location, but I had it in my brain that the food was pretty decent. You might think that trying to review two different locations would be hard. But in actuality, the restaurants and their food were pretty much the same. The buildings themselves are pretty decent, with the one in Derby being a bit newer. But similarly decorated in a Mexican party theme. We were seated immediately and got some chips and salsa to start. The first thing I noticed when I glanced at the menu is that this one wouldn't be high on the value scale, unless the tacos were just absolutely amazing. Your typical ground beef/chicken taco on a corn/flour shell (tex mex style) tacos started at 1.99/each. Steak or chicken street tacos were 2.49/each and Fish or Shrimp Tacos were 2.99/each. Between the two locations though, I was able to get around to trying one of each of them. I have them listed below in my order of preference.


Fish taco - sadly, I wasn't terribly impressed with any of the tacos at either location. But I would say the best of the mediocre bunch was definitely the fish tacos, which I did have at both locations. They came with a bit of pineapple salsa and lettuce and plenty of fish. Overall, not a bad taco and they would probably be my go to if I return.
Shrimp Taco - a close 2nd place, I also had this one at both locations and was satisfied with my choice, if not really overwhelmed. Plenty of shrimp, and perfectly cooked with some grilled onions on top. Could've used a bit more seasoning, but went down ok with some salsa and lime.
Steak and Chicken Street Tacos - I'll lump these in here both together because they were both pretty similar. Lots of mostly bland, unseasoned meat. Nothing else. I threw some salsa and lime on them to make them tolerable. But overall, not an inspiring taco whatsoever.
Ground Beef Tacos - I only got this one at the west side location, on a flour shell. It was the first taco I picked up and it was the first taco to totally disintegrate in my hands just seconds after arrival. Travis' had one that met the same, messy, fate. So I ate the rest with my fork, hoping maybe the flavor would justify the effort and save this taco from a disastrous review. It did not. The meat was bland, the shell was crap, and the lettuce on top looked like it was three days too old to be served. Needless to say I was NOT impressed with this one.


So..... there you have it. I started thinking about my prior thoughts on the restaurants, that I had remembered the food was decent. Then I remembered I always got the enchiladas when I was there. Guess I'll stick to those, IF I go back. My overall rankings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 2.0 Tacos
Price - $-$$
Value - 2.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.0 Tacos
Service - 4.0 Tacos
Overall Experience - 2.5 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 2.0 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment