Search This Blog

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Taco Tour Stop #16 - Los Cocos - 1335 N Tyler

We're definitely not great planners - so as usual, we decided on the tour spot last minute: Los Cocos. Chris & Shon went to the Derby location last week, but today we went to the 13th & Tyler spot. Even though the meeting time was supposed to be 1145, shockingly, doofus and dumbus weren't there at that time.  So I enjoyed some cool water and chips and salsa for about 10 minutes.  The peace and quiet was nice while it lasted...

Los Cocos kind of has that "AmeriMexican-chain" vibe, and it actually translated into their food as well (as you'll see in a moment).  However the staff is courteous and the place is clean with plenty of seating.  The water was cold and watery and the chips were quite yummy with a good crunch and salsa was tasty.  I definitely got my share of that during this visit.

They don't have a big taco selection, and having been at a lot of traditional Mexican joints, it was a bit confusing.  Carne Asada tacos are available in steak or chicken... Yes you read that right.  I'm still scratching my head, but I did order 1 of each.  I also ordered a standard beef taco on a corn shell and a beef taco on a fried flour shell.  My cohorts placed their orders and the waiter didn't use paper... This usually turns out bad - especially since we were a la carte orders of 12 different tacos.  Amazingly, they all arrived correctly - and the wait wasn't short, but it wasn't an unacceptable wait either.

The first thing I noticed is that the "asada" tacos didn't look like they have so far on the tour. They have 1 flour tortilla and no onion or cilantro. Literally just the meat.  So I started with the steak, put some lime juice, salsa, cheese, and lettuce on it and took a bite.  Not bad. It had a decent flavor - a small bit of tough meat, but flavor was fine. It just didn't feel like a carne asada taco.

The chicken "carne asada" taco was next and I put the same toppings on it.  Honestly this taco is very good - among the best chicken tacos I've had on the tour. Seriously. The flavor in the chicken was really good.  Good enough that I'll definitely order it again if I make it back here.

The beef corn taco was next - the cheese and lettuce was already on the taco but I added some lime, salsa, pico, etc.  Meh. The meat flavor was very bland. I've had better ground beef tacos at fast food joints. Really nothing exciting about this at all plus the shell was soggy and falling apart.

The beef on fried flour taco was last and I was already expecting bland based on the other beef one.  I picked up the taco and the juice had already soaked the bottom - so much so the bottom half of the taco was still sitting on my plate. Very soggy mess - disappointing, and the meat was bland as expected.  I used chips to finish this one off but don't really know why. It wasn't really worth the effort.

Overall, kinda disappointed. I got out of there for less than $12 and very full thanks to lots of chips and salsa - and to be fair the helping of meat on the tacos was good. No complaints about serving sizes or the service. But overall the chicken taco is the only thing worth coming back for.  (Although on a previous visit I confirmed they have really good margaritas).

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:
Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment