Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #43 - Cactus Cantina - 2802 S Hydraulic

Thing 2 (Chris) was getting ready to roll out of town for an undeserved vacation cruise. So, we decided to double up on our stops for the week. Our first one brings us to an out of the way joint in south Wichita - Cactus Cantina.


CC is in a stand alone building in the 2800 block of S Hydraulic. Which is, of course, problem #1 - I'm never in this part of town for anything. But, someone recommended we try it, so naturally we've gotta give 'em a go. We pulled up about noon and Chris was already inside hogging all the chips and salsa. The place is more of a sit down style restaurant than what we've seen most often, which was a nice change. Unfortunately, it was noon on a weekday and there was hardly anyone there, which seemed like an auspicious beginning. Anyway, I sat down and immediately started in with the chips. The chips were fine, but the salsas were a tale of two extremes. The mild was pretty much just tomato juice. The hot had a pretty good kick to it, probably more than most people would enjoy. And that's coming from a guy who likes some spice in his salsa. I was, however, able to find a decent medium by mixing the two together.


We hadn't even ordered yet, but Travis was already whining about dirty dishes... over...and over...and.... make that a third time. Not sure how that happened, because all of mine were fine. Bad luck I guess, but something to note for our readers. I went with 5 tacos - carne asada, al pastor, and chicken street tacos, and a chicken and a ground beef taco in the fried shells. The street tacos came with onion and cilantro and the fried shell tacos came tex-mex style with lettuce, tomato, and cheese. Since I'm a little biased toward the street tacos, I decided to save those for last and started with the fried shell chicken and ground beef. I thought both of the tacos were pretty decent for what they were. Compared to our other fried shell tacos on the tour, I would say they were above average, taste wise. But a little skimpy on the meat underneath all of my salad toppings. The chicken street taco was a decent taco - tender meat, lightly seasoned. Same for the carne asada. Both of these were decent tacos, but I wouldn't say they were special. The al pastor was definitely the winner for the day. Had a nice peppery taste to it and plenty of tender meat. This was definitely my favorite of the three.


In short, if I were down south again and needed some tacos, I wouldn't mind going back and getting a nice plate of the Al Pastors. The waiter (I think he may have even been the owner, by the way he was talking) was friendly and took good care of us. So in my mind, there wasn't anything that would scare me from coming back, other than the fact that it's out of my way and I run into 10 other taco places before I get there. My overall ratings on the 5-Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 3.0 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 3.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 2.0 Tacos
Service - 4.0 Tacos
Overall Experience - 3.0 Tacos
Likelihood To Return - 2.5 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment