Search This Blog

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Travis - Taco Tour stop #44 - Gaga's Grub (Ugliest Taco Truck)

So because Chris is going to be unavailable next week, we decided we needed to squeeze in a second stop this week. Chris insisted that it needed to be Gaga's Grub - Wichita's Ugliest Taco Truck.  You'll need to keep an eye on his FB page to figure out where he's at - this week he was in the Red Cross Parking lot on N Main.  The owner of Gaga's heard about our tour sometime back and reached out to us.  Chris also ran into him at Taco Fajita recently - so we figured we better try to get over to him!

For being touted as the ugliest taco truck, I was a little disappointed. I wanted UGGGLEEE - I'm kidding of course. When you spot the truck, you'll know you have the right place because he's got it plastered on the side. And yeah, he's not going to win any design awards! HA! It's all good though - that's his schtick and it's cool.  If you have a chance to talk to the owner Dustin, you should. Super nice guy and down to earth - and he's proud of what he does.

Anyway, I got there before the other 2 bozos (as usual) and rather than stand outside, in the cold, waiting, I went ahead and ordered.  He's got a lot of options on his menu - so at first glance it's a bit overwhelming. But I decided to try the 3 taco plate for $8 - which is a great value by the way!  Only two kinds of meat on the menu - chicken and pulled pork. Sadly, no beef - but don't let that discourage you.  He's got TONS of topping options between the condiments and sauces! I ordered a chicken with cilantro and onions only, a pulled pork with jack cheese and blueberry BBQ sauce, and a pulled pork with cilantro & onions and a roasted poblano sauce.

I was already sitting on my tailgate eating food by the time doofus #1 & 2 showed up.  Food came out quickly since he's already got it cooked and ready for you!  First thing I noticed - this guy does NOT skimp on meat. All 3 tacos are single tortilla style and LOADED - if it's possible to have too much meat in a taco, Gaga's probably pulled it off.

I started with the pork and poblano combo first.  The meat is very tender and juicy - and LOTS of it.  The poblano definitely has a nice little kick to it and overall this was a very flavorful taco. I really liked it.  I would say I'd get it again, but with so many choices of toppings, I'd want to try other options first - but you won't go wrong with this one.

The chicken taco was next - I tried to make this one as close to "traditional" as I could with no sauce and just cilantro and onion.  This taco wasn't bad, but for me, the chicken was just a little too "chunky". I'd rather see the chicken in smaller pieces or even shredded.  It tasted good - so I'm not even close to suggesting this was a bad taco.  It's just that the texture was a little off for me - especially since there was so much meat.  I used a fork to "shred" and eat the pieces that fell off and the flavor was nice.  I think next time I'd either skip the chicken, or go with different toppings and try to shred some of it myself.

The last taco was the other pulled pork and I made this more "Americanized" with jack cheese and bbq sauce.  Unfortunately, because the weather was cold, this taco had cooled in temperature by the time I got to it.  It was warm when served, so no fault to Gaga's - just a byproduct of going to a food truck on a cold day.  This taco was very yummy.  The blueberry BBQ sauce was unique and really tasty. A tender juicy taco with tons of meat. I really liked this taco also!

Overall I really enjoyed this round of tacos. These aren't going to necessarily be "traditional" tacos - so if that's what you're looking for, this might not be what you're after. BUT, I still think you'll like it.  You have SO many options for toppings, it's hard not to find something you'd like. You may have trouble deciding what to try. The tacos are very juicy, so get a handful of napkins. By the time I finished the last taco, the tortilla was a bit soggy. I wished for at least one more kind of meat - ideally a beef option.  However, the amount of meat is awesome (and very tasty) - and for the price, this is a great value.  I will be back to hit up Gaga's again and I want to try lots of other toppings and sauces.

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment