Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

El Vaquero, how about El VaquerNO

Today we are at El Vaquero Mexican Restaurant on E Central. We have had a few people ask us to go check it out. I guess they have a mariachi band on weekends and whatnot. So here we are. 

Upon arriving, the parking is weird. You have you park around the back of the building and there are no windows. 

I was immediately seated. The place was nearly empty. I reviewed the menu and decided on 4 tacos Mexicano (street tacos) and a ground beef white boy taco. 

We devoured some chips and tomato sauce (salsa). It took roughly 20 minutes for the food to arrive. 

Ground beef taco had a soggy shell at the bottom and a stale shell up top. The meat wasn’t very warm. This was a lose-lose for this taco. 

The carnitas was cold and had very taste to the taco. When I say cold, I don’t mean room temperature, I mean cold. 

The al pastor was very flavorful and well cooked. It had an interesting spice to it. I think they put some of the marinade on each taco as there were a couple delicious chunks of pineapple on the taco. 

The chicken was rubbery and lacking in flavor. I don’t know if the meat was undercooked or severely over cooked but after 1 bite, I was uninterested in learning more. The meat was also room temperature. 

My carne asada was tough but had a nice taste to it. Guess what the biggest problem with the carne asada was...seriously, guess. If you guessed that it was room temp, you are correct. 

Assumptions to be drawn from this visit is that our food sat in the back for a while. That is the only logical explanation for the room temperature food and the extremely long wait in an empty restaurant. 


We were informed that they have $1 tacos on Tuesday but I don’t think that I will bother with visiting again. IF I visit again, I will likely only order al pastor tacos. I would rate them somewhere in the bottom 1/3 of all of the places we have visited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment