Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Travis - Taco Tour stop #56 - Armando's Mexican Grill - 2227 N Arkansas

We recently heard that a new place had opened in the previously El Paisa and Casa Del Charro spot near 21st & Arkansas.  The recent addition is a Armando's Mexican Grill - but it's their second location (they also have a location in Clearwater).  This part of town is heavy with authentic Mexican spots, so we were hopeful we'd find another gem (in spite of the previous 2 occupants not making it).  At least they've already got a location in operation, so hopefully the experience will help them with longevity...

Anyway, on to the review.  This is a "sit down" style location - the hostess seated us and presented us with menus to look over.  We were greeted with some tasty chips and salsa and a pretty big selection of food to look over.  Looking over their options, it seems like they didn't have a selection of street tacos. In fact, the a la carte options for tacos seemed a little expensive.  But never fear - when we asked our waiter, apparently a "hidden" menu item of $2 street tacos was available. They have many of the standard options you'd expect so I ordered carne asada, pollo, al pastor, and carnitas.  


When the tacos came out, I noticed right away that there was something unique about them.  They did come with what seemed like an appropriate amount of meat - and they were definitely street style with 2 tortillas. But the unique aspect is that the outer tortilla is soft and the inner tortilla is fried and more crispy. It definitely makes for an interesting texture and I quite enjoyed it on every taco we had.

I started off with the carne and right away I was excited by how this was going to turn out.  It had a really nice steak flavor. It had just a slight crunch to the outer part of the meat (think burnt ends). It had adequate meat and I definitely enjoyed this taco. The meat was tender and not chewy.  By far my favorite of the spot.

The next taco was pollo and I almost couldn't close the taco it had so much meat.  The flavor really wasn't too bad. I wouldn't say it was bold, but it still had a decent taste. The chicken was tender and not dry - although not really moist either.

The al pastor was next. There wasn't as much meat on this taco but it was still enough. The meat had a nice red color like I've come to expect.  However, the flavor wasn't as bold as I expected it to be. It was still a decent flavor but nothing too memorable.

The last taco was the carnitas. It was definitely a bit dry but still tender. There really wasn't much flavor to this taco. It probably could use some salsa - however we weren't given any except what was in the bowl for the chips.  

Overall this stop wasn't bad - I really enjoyed the carne asada however the others just kind of left something to be desired. They weren't bad - but I just kind of kept expecting more and I felt like it wasn't delivered.  The unique texture of the tortillas definitely made up some ground - but I don't know if it's enough to keep me coming back.  As of right now, I'd kind of like to give them another shot (maybe in a few months) to see if the quality and taste comes up a bit - but as of right now, for $2/taco, I think there are still better options out there (and not too far away from this spot).

Out of 5 tacos, here's my ratings:
Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment