Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Travis - Taco Tour stop #55 - When Pigs Fly - 7011 W Central

This week, a friend clued me in on a special 1 week only deal at When Pigs Fly for brisket tacos.  Since BBQ is right up there with tacos for me on my list of favorite foods, I had to give this a try. So letting doofus 1 & 2 know about it, we decided we'd give it a shot.  Yes, I know it was a 1 week only deal - but you never know if/when they might bring them back again.

The deal was 3 corn shelled tacos filled with brisket, BBQ Sauce, lettuce, cheese, and pico + 2 sides for $11.99.  Normally we just go for a la carte orders at most places, but this was the special, so that's what I ordered.  If you've never been to When Pigs Fly, it's a fairly typical BBQ joint where you order at the counter, grab your own drink, and seat yourself.  I've been a few times and I definitely enjoy their BBQ - so if nothing else, I'll definitely recommend them for that!

The tacos were ready fairly quickly and I added chips and macaroni salad for my sides.  Overall, for $11.99 plus tax, you're going to come away full.  On the taco value scale, it wasn't great - but it's still right in line with a full meal plus sides, so really not much to complain about there if you know what to expect.

Since all 3 tacos were the same, there's not much detail to break down.  Overall the tacos were tasty. If you like a heavy dose of sauce on your BBQ, these would be right up your alley. I don't mind sauce, but I also like the taste of the meat, so I could have used a little less than was served.  I know their meats are great here too - so it was a bit of a bummer to be covered up that much.  The meat was plentiful though. The shells, with that much sauce, won't stay crisp for long. So it was a mix of crunchy and slightly soft by the time I made it through the meal.  

The macaroni salad was pretty tasty too - nice a cool and a contrast to the temperature of the tacos.

Overall I'm glad we made the visit, but talking strictly from a taco review standpoint, the tacos were enough to definitely fill you up, but not something I'd run right back for to get.  I'd rather go in and have their BBQ for sure.  So keep that in mind as you read my ratings below - I'm a fan of WPF BBQ, but the tacos were just middle-of-the-road for me.  I have had brisket tacos a few other places that were REALLY good - so even compared to those, these were just average.  Stick to the BBQ here and you'll be a happy customer!

Here are my taco ratings (out of 5) for our visit - based STRICTLY on the tacos:
Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment