Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #55 - When Pigs Fly BBQ - Central and Ridge

I know what you're thinking: The Taco Tour guys had one too many margaritas and walked into the wrong restaurant, right? But nope, we were actually in the right place. Someone had mentioned that When Pigs Fly had a brisket taco special and since we didn't want to discriminate against anything with the word "taco" in it, the three of us decided we had to check it out.


I love me some tasty BBQ and although I have a number of favorite joints around town, I had actually never been into WPF. The restaurant is located in a strip mall, just east of Central and Ridge. The place is a pretty nice restaurant, family owned, and it smelled tasty when I walked in. It's a typical quick serve BBQ restaurant - order at the counter, and then someone brings it to you after you self serve your drinks. No need to peruse the menu like we normally have to, as we already knew what we were here for: brisket tacos, which apparently were the "Weekly Special". I forgot to ask, so just a note that you might have to check with them ahead of time for availability, as I don't see the tacos on their menu online. Anyway, I placed my order and paid - $11.99 for 3 tacos and two sides, before grabbing my drink and seat next to Chris, who had already arrived. The tacos came out in quick order with my sides of corn and baked beans (no fries or onion rings here, since they don't have any fryers). My tacos were comprised of a fair amount of brisket inside hard shell corn tortillas with lettuce and tomato on top. The brisket was pretty saucy, so much so that I had a hard time really telling if the meat was any good or not. The sauce basically overpowered the meat to the point that the sauce was all I could taste. That said, the sauce wasn't bad and had a nice flavor to it. But I think instead of drenching the brisket in it, they could maybe just put a little for flavor on top so the meat could stand out.


Overall, I didn't find anything here that would stop me from coming back. The sides were good, if typical, and the place was more than adequate for BBQ lovers. But I'll probably try to make a stop in the near future for some actual BBQ and save the tacos for the Mexican Restaurants. My overall rankings on the 5-Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 3.0 Tacos
Price - $$
Value - 2.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.5 Tacos
Service - 3.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 3.0 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 3.0 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment