Search This Blog

Monday, August 6, 2018

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #61 - Casa Martinez - 204 W Greenway, Derby KS

Taco Tour Stop #61 - so, as you can imagine, we're constantly keeping our eyes open for more and more places to put on the list. Casa Martinez wasn't on our radar, but after a bunch of fiddle farting around with Thing 1 (Travis) who was doing some business down in Derby, we turned to Google to come up with a place near by and decided on Casa Martinez, near K-15 and Greenway.


Casa Martinez is located in a strip mall just off of K-15. The place isn't super fancy, but it is a sit down type of place. Chris was already there when I arrived and had chips with two salsas - mild and allegedly hot. I say "allegedly" because both sauces were pretty mild - if you're a wimp about the spicy, you won't have any problems here. They weren't bad, just didn't have any kick. Our waiter came over and took our order, which was a little confusing because they didn't have an a la carte price on the tacos. Basically, the taco plate is $11.50 for three tacos and they give you the rice and beans for free. That's their logic, not mine. Because as far as I was concerned, if you don't want rice or beans, you're having to pay $11.50 for 3 tacos, like it or not. Which really takes them down a notch on the value scale. So.... that said, I went ahead and took the rice and ordered the carnitas, steak, and al pastor tacos.


After a slightly longer wait than normal, we got our tacos. One of the pluses I did like was that we had sides of grilled onion, pico, guacamole, salsas, and lime which provided some nice options to have with the tacos. I went grilled onion, pico, and lime on all of mine and saved the guac for the chips (where it belongs). I started with the carnitas, which was filled with a good amount of marinated, tender pork. Overall, I thought this was a pretty good taco and would recommend this one for sure. Next up was the steak. I thought the flavor was good, but the meat was definitely chewier than what I was used to. Seemed like they may have skimped on the meat quality a little bit. Last was the Al Pastor. I'll be curious to see what Travis thought of this one - it was definitely on the peppery side, almost having more of a chorizo kind of seasoning to it. It was a little greasy, but as a chorizo fan, I actually liked that flavor.


Overall, I would say the tacos here were a decent find. Not sure that they were amazing enough to trek down to Derby unless I was already there. But if I'm in the area, I could see myself coming back as long as I can convince myself to pay almost $4.00 a taco. My overall rankings on the 5-Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 2.75 Tacos
Price - $-$$
Value - 1.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 3.0 Tacos
Service - 3.0 Tacos
Overall Experience - 2.75 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 2.0 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment