Search This Blog

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Travis - Taco Tour stop #62 - Rancho Nuevo - 2330 N Maize

A few months ago, a Mexican restaurant closed and shortly after another one opened in the same spot.  Sound familiar?  Well it seems to happen frequently around Wichita - not always Mexican joints, but it definitely happens that way it seems.  This week's stop is an example of that - sometime awhile back Los Trojas (sp?) closed and Rancho Nuevo opened. This is in the New Market Square area on Maize just north of 21st.  So we decided we better check it out - because hey, you never know if it's going to last or not...

We wanted to hit this place on Thursday because that's when they have $1 tacos.  So I joined my cohorts and some very lovely young ladies who joined us as guest judges (Chris had his girls with him).  The complimentary nachos were crispy and thin. I like variety in the places we go and I enjoyed these chips - the salsa very mild and they had another grayish warmed up sauce of some sort there as well.  I never did quite figure out what it was, but it wasn't bad either.

They have street-style tacos (with 2 tortillas) on their menu and I was HUNGRY so I ordered one of each of the chicken, al pastor, shredded beef (desebrada?), ground beef, carnitas, and carne asada.  While we waited, I was entertained by toddlers.  I meant Chris & Shon - but Chris's daughters were great & hilarious company too!  The tacos came out in an appropriate time and they provided limes, lemons, and a hot sauce.



 I started with the chicken.  It was nice and tender with lots of meat. I thought it was flavorful but not really moist or dry (which I guess means it was right in the middle).  Either way it was good but the hot sauce gave it that nice extra kick of flavor and I enjoyed it.

The al pastor was next and it also had plenty of meat and the nice red color we've come to expect.  It was very juicy and the marinade dripped out when you bit into it.  The meat was tender and had a really nice flavor thanks to that marinade.  I quite liked this taco - and would definitely get it again if we make it back here at some point.  We've had some pretty stellar al pastor - this one isn't quite in that category, but the flavor was good so you won't go wrong on this one.

The shredded beef was next and it was moist with plenty of meat.  The flavor was good - apparently it was "nice" because I wrote that in my notes twice for this taco. LOL I'm not entirely sure why, but I did.  But I did like this taco and would probably get it again also.

The ground beef taco really wasn't anything special.  The hot sauce brought out a little more flavor - it doesn't taste bad, but it's nothing newsworthy either.  Ground beef on this style taco does feel a little "odd" to me.  I'll just stick to the others when I'm here.

The carnitas is always one I look forward to, but I could tell it was dry before I ever bit into it.  Yep - definitely dry and chewy. Quite chewy.  There really wasn't much flavor on this one - and the hot sauce just basically made it taste like hot sauce.  A bit of a disappointment. This one gets a resounding "eh".

Lastly was the carne asada - and it looked pretty good.  It was just slightly chewy but not bad.  The steak flavor wasn't bold like I was hoping but it was there.  I would call this an acceptable taco and the hot sauce definitely helps a little.  I think the other guys liked this one a little more than I did - so there could have been some slight inconsistencies in this one for our visit.  (Possibly the same for the carnitas).  Anyway, I think this one deserves a second chance if we make it back - because I think it has potential and maybe is better if I ate it earlier.

Overall, I think this place has decent food - but I will tell you it was VERY quiet in there.  For a $1 taco Thursday right during the lunch hour, I think we were one of 3 (maybe 4) parties.  At that rate, I don't think they can be profitable on the high cost retail front on Maize Road.  I wish them luck, but time will tell if they can make it into the black.  In the meantime, go check them out on Thursday for a great value taco deal!

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment