Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Travis - Taco Tour stop #63 - El Agave (West) - 3540 N Maize

This week, we went back to Maize Road in search of great tacos on the far west side of Wichita - and we landed at the newish second location for El Agave Mexican Restaurant near 37th and Maize.  Chris has a new job so we're having to continue without him (at least for now) - so it was just Shon and I this trip.  We'll see if Chris can catch up - since he's almost 3 months behind on writing his reviews...

This is a larger sit down restaurant.  With an established business on the east side already, we were hopeful they would deliver deliciousness on the west side too.  The lunch crowd seemed good for a weekday and I've driven by a few times on the weekend and they seem to serve a big crowd.  I was seated quickly, although I will confess our waitress wasn't overly friendly.  They do have (pricy) a la carte tacos but there was some confusion as to what they were.  I asked what the fajita taco was and she seemed very confused by the question and said she didn't know - she thought it was just like the other tacos.  Uh.. what?  Anyway, I assumed she was incorrect so I ordered that one, the al pastor, the ground beef, and the asada.

While we waited, we enjoyed some pretty decent chips and salsa.  The wait wasn't horrible, but it did take awhile for our food to arrive. So probably not going to be a speedy stop during the week if that's what you're after.  When the tacos arrived, they were completely wrapped in foil - which seemed odd, but honestly it was nice because they all kept their heat very well.  That was a welcome change since they would all be hot - even when I got to the last taco.





I started with the fajita taco - which is pretty much what you think it might be.  Fajita-like toppings served in a single tortilla, taco-style.  Red peppers, green peppers, onions, and steak. There were plenty of stuffings and meat and honestly this was a pretty darn good taco. It had a really good flavor and I really liked this taco.  I will definitely get this again... OR, maybe I should just get fajitas??

The al pastor was next - it had cilantro and grilled onions (but not raw onions). I couldn't quite figure it out until Shon finally identified it - it also had a little bit of pineapple cooked in it.  It was nice and juicy and had that red color we've come to expect from an al pastor.  It had a little bit of a kick although we debated on whether this was a pork or beef al pastor - Shon decided it was beef and it definitely could have been.  Either way, this was a tasty taco - I really enjoyed this one too and the slight kick made it just right.  I'd absolutely come back for this one too.

Next I tried the ground beef taco.  I guess I should have ordered this on a crunchy shell. I'm not sure why, but I was thinking it was going to be something else. It was just ground beef, lettuce, and tomatoes.  Eh. Really nothing else to say about it - other than that was an expensive plain old ground beef taco.

Last was the asada - which was a bit odd.  It was literally just meat and nothing else.  No other toppings in there.  Plus, there was more meat than would fit in the tortilla. It was tender, but it was definitely odd with nothing else to compliment the meat.  The flavor was fine... but it's just missing something else.  I can't decide if I was disappointed in this taco or just underwhelmed by the lack of anything to go with it.

Overall this stop was pretty decent with the first 2 tacos but a little underwhelming with the second 2.  I would absolutely get the fajita taco and al pastor again - or maybe I'll just try their fajitas next time.  They're going to lose a few points on value though - before tip, my total for 4 tacos, no sides, and water was $13.82.  The fajita taco was worth the price and the al pastor probably was too.  The other two, not so much.  So I'll ding them on that and I'm going to take away a point for the service because of the lack of knowledge and slightly "not friendly" demeanor...  Bear in mind, no one was rude - but I did kind of just feel like "a number" during this visit.

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment