Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Travis - Taco Tour stop #61 - Casa Martinez - 204 W Greenway (Derby)

This week the Wichita Taco Tour went south of the border (to Derby) to check out Casa Martinez.  Yes, I know it's not technically in Wichita - but we still went because we like to find good tacos in the Wichita "area".

The two turds beat me there because they couldn't make up their minds when we were going - so I had to kill time in Derby. Which ultimately made me later than they were - but it's okay, I've waited on them enough anyway!

This place is a sit-down style restaurant - not a huge place, but definitely ample seating to handle a decent lunch crowd.  It's just right off of K-15 in Derby so fairly easy to get to.  But the real question is: is it worth the drive from Wichita to check it out?  We went on a Wednesday which is also their all-you-can-eat taco day.  However that's only for the ground beef style taco - meh.  Chris fell for the temptation of that offer, but Shon and I decided to stick with street tacos.  One complaint - no a la carte option here.  You can order a 3 taco plate and it comes with beans & rice sides - and that's pretty much your option.  If you ask for a la carte, the waiter will just tell you it's the same price because the 2 sides are free... That the "per taco" price is whatever the combo price is divided by 3.  #confusedface  I wouldn't say the value was bad - but I personally like the ability to order more tacos individually, so for the purpose of this trip, I'll deduct slightly on the value scale.

Anyway, I ordered that with a carne asada, al pastor, and carnitas tacos and proceeded to eat chips and salsa.  The mild salsa is VERY mild.  The hot salsa was unexpectedly not hot - in fact I could barely tell a difference.  I asked if they had an "actual" hot sauce and he brought out a warmed up bowl of salsa - it had more of a kick than the hot (but was still pretty tame).  Overall not bad, but I like a little more heat, and personally I'm not a fan of warmed up salsa - but if you like that style, it tasted good.


The tacos arrived in appropriate time and I was pleased to see that they serve grilled onions on the side for you to use.  I'm becoming more of a fan of grilled onions lately so I definitely put some on each of my tacos for this visit.  I went for the asada first with my added grilled onions. The meat was a little chewy but still had a decent steak flavor.  The grilled onions helped to bring out some flavor but I've definitely had better.  It was slightly overdone in spots and even after adding some green sauce, it didn't make much of a taste difference.  This was a middle-of-the-road asada in my book.

The al pastor was next and I also added the grilled onions to this taco.  In my notes I wrote "not bad" - and it wasn't. The meat was tender and there was plenty of it.  It had that nice red color and the flavor was bold.  I would put this slightly above average on the al pastor scale.  It's a decent taco that I don't think you'll be disappointed in - but it wasn't anything that I'd run back to Derby for when there are many closer options.

Lastly, the carnitas.  Again, I put the onions on this one and it definitely helped.  We are finding out that getting a really good, moist carnitas can be tricky.  This one really was pretty decent overall.  I felt like it was just slightly dry but Shon didn't think so.  It really wasn't anything too noticeable nor would it be anything to complain about - it just was ever so slightly not moist.  The meat was pretty good though and the onions brought out more flavor as a bonus.  I definitely like this taco and it was my favorite of the stop.  But, as you know, we've found just as good (and much better) in Wichita.

Overall, I think this stop was worth going to if you're already in the area.  I don't see this as a place that is worth driving to Derby for when you have many options in Wichita that are as good or better.  So for that reason, the likelihood to return takes a small hit.  However, if you find yourself south of Wichita for anything, I will say it could be worth a stop.  I al
so had the feeling this is a place where the other menu items might even be better than the tacos.  Might be worth checking that out sometime!

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment