Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #5 - District Taqueria

Well, after the surprisingly tasty tacos we came across last week at CK's (check out our previous posts if you're out of the loop), I was REALLY looking forward to hitting District Taqueria. We had gotten several recommendations to check it out, so we made sure to get it on the tour board early. If you've read Travis' post by now, then he's already made you aware of some of the logistical problems - namely parking. As someone who eats in the area frequently (Wasabi is one of my faves), I'd highly recommend going a little off the main rush time. We got there about 11:30 and I was still able to find a place to park right across the street.

After employing my Frogger skills to successfully navigate the suicide run across Douglas, I entered the restaurant and immediately liked the vibe - kind of an industrial setting full of business people eating tacos. We received immediate attention and the waitress asked us if we wanted to buy any chips and salsa. Besides being irked at not getting free chips, the price didn't seem to make it worth it. Besides, I was here for tacos and figured I would get my fill (mistake number 1). The menu looked great - a lot of the usual suspects (steak, chicken, fish,) with a gourmet flare. You can buy 3 of the same kind of taco for $8.50 or buy individual tacos for $3.00 each. I decided to go with 4 tacos - a Lengua, a Carne Asada, Fish, and a Mushroom taco.


When my tacos FINALLY arrived, (took every bit of 20 minutes or longer after we placed our orders) I was both pleased, yet concerned. Pleased because they looked delicious! Concerned because......well..... I hadn't eaten breakfast. I figured 4 tacos might be enough, but I could tell by looking at the plate that this would not be the case. This is where some complimentary chips and salsa would've been particularly handy. In any case, I decided to start first with my fish taco. You can get it fried or grilled and I had gone with the latter. It was a perfectly tasty taco - lightly seasoned, with some pineapple on top that made a nice contrast with the fish and provided an unexpected pop of sweetness. Next was the mushroom taco. I had never had a mushroom taco, so I didn't have high hopes for it. Surprisingly, it was also quite tasty. The shrooms were grilled perfectly (not too mushy) and were surprisingly substantive. They were covered in a salsa that didn't come on any of my other tacos and had the perfect level of spiciness/borderline hot. My steak taco was tasty, but nothing amazing. It was grilled well and not too chewy but it didn't have the flavor textures that the other three had. Pretty standard fare and a "safe" taco for people like Chris who eat kiddie tacos all the time. My lengua taco, however, had no such issues - the lengua was tasty and perfectly cooked. Very tender. It was covered in a green sauce that had a nice hint of lime and avocado - a great cool contrast to the lengua. Yet despite the nice flavors I had here, I was still a little disappointed. Mainly because I had bought a 12.00 plate of tacos and I still felt like I could eat 4 more. Maybe 6. Chris took down a half dozen tacos and felt the same. I just didn't want to get into his level of Girth-ness by buying 3 dozen tacos my first time there.


So in summary - delicious small tacos. If you're going, I'd recommend a late breakfast followed by this place for an early lunch. And don't go if you're on a time crunch......or a budget. This is definitely a place where a man with an appetite and a "don't give a flip" attitude would easily rack up a 25.00 tab just for lunch. My ratings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 4.0 Tacos (Taste-wise, would be higher, but I'm not going over a 4 for tacos that small.)
Price - $$-$$$
Value - 1.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.5 Tacos
Service - 3.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 3.0 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 3.0 Tacos




No comments:

Post a Comment