Search This Blog

Friday, February 10, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #6 - Chico's Restaurant

Well, we're 6 weeks into the tour and so far we've been had some highs and lows during this ultimate Wichita Taco Quest. That's also a pretty good description of our stop this week at Chico's restaurant, located just west of Maple and West St.


After being nagged about not being on time for our usual 1130am lunches, Thing 1 and Thing 2 decided they wanted to go to a lunch hour meeting and push the tour back to 1:15pm. I mean seriously, what kinda people prefer to voluntarily go to a meeting over eating tacos?!?! Needless to say, I had skipped breakfast and was ready to throw down. The restaurant is in a newer building now and it had been forever and a day since I'd eaten here. I think they were still in that crappy building on West street. Anyway, we were greeted and seated quickly and got a nicely stacked bowl of chips and hot and mild salsas. The mild was fine, nothing special, but the hot had a decent jalopeno-y kick to it that wasn't too hot. The menu had a lot of the basics for tacos, so I went with one ground beef and one chorizo taco (both on corn) and a carne asada taco on soft flour and a ham taco (a bit unusual, so I had to try it) on a fried flour.


Taco time!! My plate arrived and looked adequate, except for the fact I didn't get my ham taco. The waitress did eventually swing by and brought my proper order but oddly, took my extra taco back. I guess they don't feed the staff enough during the day. I almost ordered another beef taco just to see if they would bring it back out, I mean c'mon.... what the heck was that about? On another weird note, since Travis took a bite of his incorrect taco before figuring it out, they didn't take his back. Yet, they charged him for it. Odd to me, but whatever. I started with my carne asada taco - it was "street style" if you will, no cheese, tomato, lettuce. Just meat, some onion, and cilantro. The taco had plenty of meat and was tasty, but nothing to really write home about. The chorizo taco was next - it had a nice spice to it, but was pretty greasy to me. The chorizo tasted like it had been in a greasy pan for just a tad too long. Travis didn't even finish his, which is saying something. My ground beef taco was actually pretty good. Standard, but good. The ham taco was..... different. Not on most menus, but also not what I expected. I guess I thought the ham would be more seasoned like Mexican ground beef, but really it was just grilled ham in a taco. Still, I thought it was fine, but nothing special.


Do I sound a little "blah" about this post? I hope so, cause that's the feeling I'm trying to convey. Again, it wasn't bad food and I would probably eat there again if the occasion arose. But I just didn't get anything that struck me as awesome or special. Basically, I felt like I could've had all of those tacos at home. My ratings are below!


Food Quality - 2.5 Tacos
Price - $-$$
Value - 2.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.0 Tacos
Service - 3.0 Tacos - The weird taco replacement situation knocked them down a Taco here.
Overall Experience 2.5 Tacos
Likelihood To Return - 2.5 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment