Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Taco Tour Stop #5 - District Taqueria 917 E Douglas

So this week our adventure took us downtown to District Taqueria. We've had several recommendations and have heard good things and Chris seemed insistent to go here soon.  Firstly, parking sucks. Sorry, it does.  We arrived at 11:30 and at that time there weren't that many people in the restaurant, but street parking is limited.  I drove around back and it was full there too... Eventually I found a spot and we made our way inside.  By the way, special guest "reviewer" this week was my 13 yr old daughter.  The kids were out of school today and when I offered, she seemed excited to try it! But that also meant that Shon and Chris would have to behave - which can be challenging for them.

Walking into a cool, hip, modern/industrial styled restaurant, we seated ourselves and were greated with a smile.  The waitress took our drink orders.  Drinks arrived quickly, got a few questions answered, and we ordered our tacos.  My daughter wasn't feeling adventurous so she ordered 3 plain steak carne asada tacos.  I ordered 1 Pork Carnita, 1 Red Mole Pulled Chicken, and 1 Crisp Barbacoa Taquito.  Before I go any further, you should definitely check out their menu.  A really nice selection of tacos with some seemingly flavorful options.  Almost everything is $3/ea.  So for the price, I was expecting a pretty good and filling taco...

So here's where the service took a dive. Not the waitress's service specifically - she was fine and always polite.  But our 20 minute wait for tacos was honestly just not acceptable.  They weren't that busy - and let's be honest, they're just tacos.  When the food finally arrived, I was disappointed in the size of the tacos.  They were quite small tortillas - although piled high with the fillings they  still were smallish. Also, keep in mind that for that price, there are no sides. Just the tacos.  Visually, the tacos looks GREAT. Almost "fancy" - that kind of throws this guy for a loop as I don't know how I feel about fancy tacos!

My Tacos:

My daughter's tacos:


I dug into the Red Mole Pulled Chicken taco first - immediately met with FLAVOR. Man this taco was good.  The chicken was tender, the pickled onions were a great touch, and overall the taco was juicy and really good! Each bite was met with a pop of flavor and had me looking forward to the next bite each time. I was definitely excited now!  I looked around our table and everyone seemed to be enjoying their selection.  I asked my daughter how her tacos were, and with a full mouth she gave me a thumbs up!

I proceeded to the Crisp Barbacoa Taquito next as I was quite excited about this one.  The taquito was also small but the presentation was excellent. Biting into it, I was met with plenty of meat but not much flavor.  In fact the exception to the flavor was the sour cream - and I'm not a fan of sour cream.  So I was a bit disappointed in this one.  I had hyped in my mind and unfortunately I was met with the sour cream taste in almost every bite (and for me that's a con, not a pro).  The meat was tasty but still just didn't seem to have that pop of flavor I was expecting - especially after the first taco.

Last taco on the plate was the Pork Carnita - hoping for it to redeem the Taquito I anxiously took a bite and was met with mediocrity.  Again, not a pop of flavor like the first taco. That's not to say this was a bad taco - the taste was fine.  The pork was good, but I just felt like I was let down after the first taco.  Not bad, not great, just acceptable.

By this time, I felt like I wasn't the only one feeling this way - and I think you'll see similar comments in the other reviews.  My daughter said her tacos were "good" - and she would rank them above Taco Shop and Taco Bell. LOL. But other than that, we all were feeling a bit underwhelmed - and not full.  The serving sizes were small for the price.  The slow start was a downer.  The environment was cool - and I must admit they had good music going even though it was barely audible.  2 Led Zeppelin songs, Skynard, Eagles, etc.  Some great classic rock for our stay.  But we all agreed that we'd need donuts immediately after to fill us up.

All told, I paid (with tip) $24 for a total of 6 tacos for my daughter and I - and we both left unfilled.  I wouldn't be opposed to going back, but I'd definitely have to be talked into it.  Not because anything was "bad" per se, but because I was underwhelmed, underfilled, and overcharged - and had to wait 20 minutes to get there.

Here are my ratings out of 5 tacos:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment