Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Taco Tour Stop #8 - Molino's Cuisine 1064 N Waco

So this week we went to Chiquita's Corn--err wait...   No they're closed until 2PM! WHO in their right mind doesn't start serving tacos until 2pm?  Apparently Chiquita's Corner - even though we didn't realize it until we arrived.  So we drove down to Molino's instead - and we're happy we did!

So this week's stop came to Molino's Cuisine and *spoiler alert*, it was great!

So there's not a lot of parking here as it's shared with other shops in the strip, but there was room for us up front and we walked into a small but very nice looking restaurant.  Everything was clean and well organized and it looks like they took the time to decorate it nicely - as opposed to just throwing some stuff on the walls.

We sat ourselves and the chips and salsa arrived quickly. Ordered water right away and looked over the menu.  The chips and salsa are very good. They appear to be made in-house and are thick and crunchy. The salsa is very flavorful without being spicy - definitely on the top end of my salsa rankings so far.  They later brought a few other flavors of salsa to the table - ranging in mildly spicy to really kicking. All of them tasted good and have their own flavor. I like them all, but you really will not be disappointed with their regular salsa - and it's what I later used on my tacos to add some flavor.  I definitely recommend using it!

By the way, side note:  there is a leopard working here. Rawr.

After asking for clarification on some tacos, I ended up ordering the steak, chicken, arrachera (skirt steak), and discada (a mixture of chorizo, steak, sausage and bacon mixture).  I also asked what the other tacos were - and pretty sure I was traumatized because she said one was foreskin. Ex-squeeze me? Foreskin. Uh what? Did you say... FORESKIN? Yes. From a cow?! No, a pig....
OH MY..no, no. I don't what that. no.  (Naturally, Shon wanted to eat foreskin - believe me the jokes were flying).

So my only real complaint about Molino's was the wait. It took quite awhile for our tacos to arrive.  I'd guess at least 15 minutes - maybe a little more.  Enough time for her to bring some additional chips and some samples of other salsas for us to try.



When the tacos arrived, they were presented very nicely and filled with plenty of meat. They were sitting upright in taco holders so the meat didn't spill and with 2 corn tortillas each.  There was plenty of onion and lettuce to add to the tacos, but not much room in the tacos because of how much meat was given.  I squeezed some lime juice on each, dropped some lettuce and onion, and dug in.

First was the steak - WOW. VERY flavorful meat with a very nice seasoning. Probably the best steak taco I've had so far.  I put salsa on for the remaining bites and was not disappointed. I HIGHLY recommend this taco if you go. It might be my favorite so far on the tour.  Really really good.

Second taco was the arrachera. It's a flat meat with excellent flavor.  Slightly different than the steak but still really good and tender.  I again added salsa to the remaining bites and it made the taco even better.  A #2 behind the steak - you won't go wrong with this one either.

Discada came next - a really interesting blend of flavors.  The sausage stands out and you can really taste it - but the additional flavors of the steak and bacon really add to this taco as well. It's like a party of flavors in your mouth as you'll get to experience them all when you eat it.  Added salsa for the second half and it was good too - but honestly you'll be fine without the salsa on this one.  I enjoyed this taco, but not enough to order them all like this.  I'd probably split between the steak and arrachera, and throw one of these in for good measure.

The chicken was last and it was just okay.  The chicken was a little dry and chewy and by the time I got to it, it wasn't hot.  The flavor was okay but really nothing too exciting.  We've had other chicken tacos on the tour that were better.  I'm glad I didn't order more than one of these because I probably would have been a little disappointed.  The salsa helped a little - but in the end, I would definitely just go with an additional steak taco.

Overall the service was excellent - albeit a little slow to get the tacos.  Our waitress was very helpful and kept our waters and chips filled.  She pleasantly offered us samples of additional salsa, so I'm happy with how this worked out.

The value took a hit though - for 4 tacos, water, and the "complimentary" chips and salsa, I spent $15.50 with tip.  I did get full, but that's definitely not a bargain since it ranks among the more expensive places we've gone.

Definitely going to come back here again though - if you're building a must-go list, add Molino's to it!

Out of 5 tacos, here are my rankings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment