Search This Blog

Thursday, June 8, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #20 - Pollo Express - Pawnee and Meridian

Twenty. Twenty weeks of touring for tacos. After 19 different restaurants, it definitely feels like we're accomplishing what we set out to do: eat lots of tacos (some amazing, some not so amazing) and have some fun. We're certainly doing both. But for our Platinum Anniversary restaurant, I was definitely hoping to find something better than good. So for those of you who read my last review, you know that means I am definitely NOT going to be the one to pick the restaurant. So Travis decided to offer up Pollo Express, based on a recommendation of one of our readers.


When I (finally) got there just before noon, I could tell that this might be a good one. I love the little mom and pop joints, and this one certainly qualifies. It sits in a small building on the southwest corner of Pawnee and Meridian. I actually drove right by it the first time around. Once I pulled in, there were already a few cars in the lot. I sat down with my Taco Tour mates and was greeted immediately by our waitress with water and some chips and salsa. The chips were thick and the salsa was pretty chunky and tasty. A nice start to the meal for sure. A quick glance at the taco menu and I was ready. After last week's mini taco debacle at Ricardo's I was determined to not leave hungry, and since the tacos were 2.15 to 2.33 each, I figured that might be a possibility. I reminded Travis of that and goaded him into 5 tacos. Which of course meant I had to go with 5 as well. So I went with the Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Lengua, Trasmission, and a ground beef taco on a fried flour shell.


When my tacos arrived (quite quickly I might add,) there seemed to be some confusion with what we ordered. I was missing a taco and Chris and his kiddie style tacos came out with the usual toppings on it, which of course he pitched a fit over. But after this tiny debacle was corrected I could tell we were in for a good round. All of the traditional street tacos came with the standard toppings: meat with onions and cilantro, lime on the side. The Trasmission had the additional bonus of some tasty grilled onions on top. First thing I noticed: these are NOT mini tacos. All of the tacos were perfectly stuffed with lots of seasoned meat and three tacos in, I knew I had ordered too much. The Trasmission seemed to have the best flavor - a very tasty, peppery, flavor that went well with the grilled onions. My Al Pastor was slightly different, but equally delicious. A bit more on the tomatillo/salt side of the spice spectrum. The lengua was perfectly cooked and very tender. The Carne Asada and the ground beef taco were both very good as well, though they didn't have quite the flavor pop as the first three. Bonus points though for having a fried flour shell that actually stayed together when I ate it.


When we were done, the smiles of satisfaction all the way around were a definitive sign that we had found a hidden gem. Travis had the Carnitas and said it may be the best taco he's ever had. That combined with the great plate of tacos I had is enough to guarantee I'd be back. My overall rankings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 4.5 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 5.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 3.0 Tacos
Service - 4.0 Tacos
Overall Experience - 4.5 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 5.0 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment