Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Travis - Taco Tour stop #20 - Pollo Express - 2501 W Pawnee

This week we were attempting to be ahead of the game and actually plan our stop more than 24 hours in advance - we weren't successful.  But the night before is an improvement over the day of, so we'll take it.  I had good vibes about this place - Pollo Express at Pawnee & Meridian.  Someone recommended it and the FB reviews were pretty good.  I made claim that's where we were going so at 1145, I sat down and waited for the 2 bozos who were late.  It FELT like it should be a good stop - nothing fancy at all, a small hole-in-the-wall in a very unassuming building. Basic printed menus, nothing fancy - I even texted the two guys that I was feeling good about it.

I looked over the menu and was reminded last week that the tiny tacos were disappointing so I decided I should try 5 tacos!  I didn't want to miss out on something and regret it later.  So after the other two arrived and I enjoyed some very crunchy chips and tasty salsa, I placed my order of a barbacoa, al pastor, carnitas, trasmission, and carne asada.

Service was polite, friendly, very helpful, and food came out fast - and the very yummy chips and salsa made it even better!

I quickly realized I made a mistake by ordering 5 tacos - honestly 3 would have been plenty. They had lots of meat on them and were a very good sized street taco with 2 tortillas.  I bit into the barbacoa first.  There is a very high bar for barbacoa tacos - and this wasn't going to topple the current champion, but this is a really good taco. The meat is tender and very flavorful. There were no tough or chewy spots. An excellent choice!

The al pastor was next and I may sound like a broken record, but it was also great.  The flavor was just right - seasoned perfectly. Tender meat.  Possibly the best al pastor taco I've had.

The carnitas taco was next and let me tell you that I literally had wide eyes when I bit into this the first time. A bold flavor and seasoned absolutely perfectly. This is quite possibly my favorite taco of the entire tour.  Just a very small kick - not spicy, just a nice, juicy, bold flavor in every bite! Simply a GREAT taco!

The trasmission taco was a new one to me. It was bits of steak with grilled onions. The onions were cooked perfectly. The meat was flavorful and juicy.  Small bits of steak were tender and easy to bite - not like a big chunk of meat you have to tear apart (which is nearly impossible when eating a soft taco without destroying the taco).  You definitely want to try this when you go!

The carne asada was last and I was hitting a wall in the amount of food I wanted to consume - but I pushed on and enjoyed a pretty classic asada taco. It wasn't awesome, but it's right there as a contender.  It was more bland than the other tacos I had here, but that's to be expected in a carne asada taco.  It wasn't bad, but I won't remember it as being exemplary. Tender, meaty, totally acceptable.

Did I mention how freaking good the carnitas were?!

Okay, overall this place was awesome. I'll absolutely be back and I think they're my new number one stop.  I paid way too much ($15 with tip) but I also had 2 too many tacos.  Had I stopped at 3, I would have been full and paid less than $9 (including complimentary chips and salsa).  So I'm still going to give them high marks on value.  I have yet to find a place this good where I can bring a $10 bill and come home with change (and be full).
Go here, seriously. Soon. Do it. What are you waiting for?!

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment