Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Travis - Taco Tour stop #22 - Gordita's Express - 1602 E Harry

So this week we took a look back at places that had been recommended and was reminded of a need to visit Gorditas Express. This is definitely another hole-in-the-wall joint with very limited seating and parking. It looks a little rough on the outside (and frankly the inside isn't much better) - but sometimes those are the best places to go!

Naturally, I was the first to arrive so I placed my order at the counter and took my seat.  I selected the Al Pastor, Barbacoa, Desebrada (shredded beef), and Pollo tacos.  By the way, the menu indicated that Barbacoa here was goat meat. Honestly that took me aback a little, but whatever, I'm here to try tacos!

Some complimentary chips & salsa arrived and the salsa was definitely on the hot side of what is normally complimentary - in fact she asked if I was okay with hot (naturally I was).  A good blend of flavor and heat - many people will find this too hot, so if you don't like spicy foods, you should ask for mild.  Doofus 1 & 2 also noticed it was hot (when they eventually arrived). I think it was too much for Chris.

The tacos arrived but she forgot my al pastor - but she happily corrected it and brought it out a few minutes later.  One thing immediately noticeable is there is probably about twice as much meat as the tacos can handle (and that's always a good thing).



The al pastor (marinated pork) was a little chewy.  The flavor was good and the plentiful meat was nice. We've definitely had some crazy good al pastor tacos on this tour, and this one won't beat the best, but it's a good taco.

The barbacoa (goat meat?!) was next and was tasty. It was tender and juicy and again the meat was falling out of the taco.  It was good, but not amazing.  We've had some super tender, yummy barbacoa so far and again this one won't compete for the best. But I'd absolutely put it in the better half of the list.

Desebrada (shredded beef) was next. It was shredded meat that I opted to get on a fried flour taco and came with chunks of potato. It was an interesting blend (in a good way). I definitely enjoyed it and would get it again. Taste was good and again overflowing with meat.

Lastly was the pollo (chicken) taco. It was shredded and flavored well. Meat overwhelmed the tortilla but I did have one little chewy spot that detracted slightly from the taste. Textures are important to me, so unfortunately when this happens it just takes away from an otherwise good taco. But overall, a solid choice.

Overall I was hoping for Gorditas Express to be right up there as a Pollo Express competitor, but it did fall short.  But that's not to say it was bad - I've definitely got them on the upper half of my list. One thing we noted was that if we are in the area, there is no longer a reason to go to Taqueria El Fogon - Gorditas is just down the road and I'd rather come here, have decent service, complimentary chips, good food, pay with a card, and try some of their other menu items (which look pretty good)!

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:


Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment