Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #22 - Gorditas Express 1602 E Harry

Another week, another taco joint - 22 weeks in and we're still hearing recommendations from people on places to add to our list. If you have a favorite place that isn't on our list, please let us know. Because so far, it seems like some of our favorite places were found by listening to the referrals of our friends, family, and readers. This week was another recommended location that none of us had ever been to - Gorditas Express, near Harry and Hydraulic.


This week continued our "hole in the wall" trend that we've established the last few weeks. And even though this place definitely fit that description, I didn't get the janky, dumpy, vibe that I got when I stepped foot into El Fogon last week. The place is SMALL, but smelled awesome as I walked in. Once inside, you walk straight up to the counter and place your order. After perusing the menu, I decided to go with 5 tacos - an Al Pastor, Desebrada, Guisado Rojo, Guisado Verde, and Taco Pescado. The lady working the counter handed us some chips and salsa and we self served our napkins and utensils from a table off to the side. By the way, the chips and salsa here were pretty tasty - probably one of the spicier house salsas I've had since we started this tour. But not so hot that it burned. Just a nice, spicy, chunky salsa served with chips sturdy enough to hold a good dose.


After a short wait, the lady at the counter brought my tacos and they looked pretty darn tasty. I decided to start with the Guisado tacos - both were pork tacos, with the Rojo being in a red spicy sauce, and the Verde in a milder, green tomatillo sauce. I thought both tacos were very good, though a little messy because of the amount of sauce. I was definitely looking to wash my hands after getting covered in a smattering of the tasty sauces. Next up was the Al Pastor and this one was also quite good - tender meat, onion, and cilantro. A nice hint of seasoning, though the seasoning wasn't nearly as potent as the sauces were from my first two tacos. The Desebrada was a shredded beef taco that tasted like a nice slice of roast beef in a taco. Even had some soft taters in it to really give it that "mom's roast beef" kinda feeling. Last was the Pescado (fish) taco. This one had 3 sticks of fried fish, lettuce, cilantro, and tartar sauce. The fish didn't look high quality, but it was still a decent taco none the less. If you're not a tartar sauce fan you might keep that in mind since the ingredients aren't listed on the menu.


Overall, I'd say this was another quality find - the Guisado tacos were delicious and will definitely have me coming back. And with a nice assortment of other tacos and a decent price ($1.75/each) this one is definitely going to end up on my rotation of places to go to again. My overall rankings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 4.0 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 4.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 2.5 Tacos
Service - 3.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 4.0 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 4.0 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment