Search This Blog

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #29 - Rostizeria Los Reyes - 21st and Arkansas

Well, it's been a while since I've actually written a post, so I'll bring you up to speed on where I'm at. Yes, I skipped #28 Douglas Street Tacos, at least for the moment. Travis went while I was out of town for the week and based on his review, it did NOT sound promising. MAYBE I will get around to it at some point, but right now I'm not interested in eating crappy tacos. So, I'm skipping on to our next stop: Rostizeria Los Reyes, near 21st St N and Arkansas.


When I got back from my trip, I started scouting some Facebook reviews to try and find us a place to go. RLR seemed to have some decent reviews, so I suggested it and everyone was on board. But man, when we got in the place? It was a ghost town. Which is a little scary considering they have an all you can eat Mexican buffet and it was 1230 on a weekday afternoon. Travis and Chris decided to just go for two tacos until we could check it out, and after cruising by the buffet (which by the way, did not look all that great) I decided to start with only two tacos as well. I placed an order for an Al Pastor and a Carne Asada taco.


The waitress had started us out with some chips and salsa that were fairly decent. Nothing special, but decent. The tacos came out after a short wait and honestly, I thought they looked pretty good. Hopefully, we would be finding out the reasons for the good reviews online. Anyway, I started out with the Asada. The taco basically came completely naked with nothing but meat in the shell, but they did have the onion, cilantro, and lime on the side. Personally, I don't mind it since I get to season it the way I want, but visually it almost feels a little....underwhelming. That said, the meat was seasoned nicely and once I had it made and topped with a little of the house salsa, I thought it was an above average taco, save for one detail - the meat had a few more "tough spots" than what I was used to. Seemed like they were definitely using cheaper meat, which is a shame because the taco was otherwise pretty tasty. Onto the Al Pastor - basically same as above: no shortage of meat and it was covered in a tasty red sauce that had a pretty peppery taste to it. The other guys didn't seem to care for the flavor of the sauce but I did actually like it. But again, I was thrown off by the meat quality. It wasn't so bad that I had to spit it out or anything, but it was a noticeable difference from other places.


Overall, I'd rate these tacos in the middle of the pack. Decent marks for taste and amount of meat, but lowered marks due to price and meat quality. If they spring for some above average cuts, this place would definitely be worth coming back to. As it stands however, it's location makes a return trip unlikely as there are at least 3 other places nearby that I would go to first. My overall rankings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 2.5 Tacos
Price - $-$$
Value - 2.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 2.5 Tacos
Service - 3.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 2.5 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 1.5 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment