Search This Blog

Friday, September 22, 2017

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #30 - La Hacienda - K-15 in Derby

Well we're up to the big 3-0! Almost all of the first 29 stops were in Wichita near our more common stomping grounds. But for this one we decided to go a little more out of our way to a place that I believe was recommended to us: La Hacienda Mexican Restaurant in Derby.


When we arrived around noon, I was pleasantly surprised to find the place was pretty busy. My tour mates were already seated (yes, I know, I know..... I like to make the grand entrance as the last one there) with chips and salsa in hand. I thought the salsa was pretty tasty, kinda thin... but still good. They also had a hotter salsa available that had quite a bit of kick to it. Not overwhelming, but if you're a whuss like Chris, it ain't for you. Anyway, our waitress was fairly quick despite the crowd. Thing 1 and Thing 2 played it safe with beef, chicken, and pork. So as usual it was up to me to venture into different territory. So I decided to go with a Carne Asada, a chorizo, a shrimp, and a fish taco.


Now you might remember what I said about presentation at our last stop, right? Well, same thing here. Everything but the fish taco came naked, with salsa, pico, and lime on the side. Again, I don't mind it cause I can season everything to taste, but visually I started off disappointed. Especially in the shrimp taco which basically just came out with nothing but 3 tiny shrimp in a tortilla. Since I didn't want to look at that sad taco anymore, I threw some pico on it first. Flavor-wise, I thought it was fine, but very unfulfilling. Next I went with the chorizo taco. This one had the opposite effect - very tasty, maybe one of the top 2 chorizo tacos I've had on this tour. Main thing is it didn't have that common "after burn" taste that a lot of crappy chorizo tacos have. This was just a nice spicy flavored sausage in a tortilla. Nothing fancy, but pretty good. The fish taco was next - this was the only taco that came dressed, with a nice handful of slaw on a fried fish plank with what tasted like a combo salsa/tartar sauce on top. A very close 2nd to the chorizo taco today, this was also one of the better fish tacos I've had. Last was the steak taco. There was no shortage of steak on this taco and it had a nice flavor to it, though maybe not as "stand out" as some of the other's we've had on tour. Still, it was a nice end to a pretty tasty plate of tacos.


I would say I was pretty happy with this plate of tacos. The guys seemed pretty pleased with their choices as well, so I would say if you're in the area you should give them a try. Just skip the shrimp taco. My overall ratings on the 5-Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 3.5 Tacos
Price - $-$$
Value - 3.0 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.5 Tacos
Service - 3.5 Tacos
Overall Experience - 3.5 Tacos
Likelihood to Return - 3.5 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment