Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Travis - Taco Tour stop #30 - La Hacienda - 1138 N Nelson, Derby

This week, the Wichita taco tour decided to expand it's horizons and venture south of the border (of Wichita).  I had a friend who recommended we check out La Hacienda, so we thought we'd give it a shot!  It's a bit of a drive if you're trying to make a quick lunch in Wichita, but the restaurant is larger and more "sit-down" style than what you typically see on our tour so far.  It's a nice restaurant and well maintained with plenty of seating.

Chris was already seated when I arrived and was enjoying some crunchy chips and tasty salsa.

A la carte tacos on their menu isn't real obvious, but you can get it if you ask.  I ordered a chicken, steak, and pork tacos.  They seemed to arrive in an acceptable timeframe and definitely looked like full tacos although not technically a street taco since the tortillas were slightly larger and only 1 per taco.

Digging into the chicken first, I was greated with lots of meat.  It also had cheese on it, which was a little different than what we typically see - and pico de gallo on the side for a topping.  So given this isn't a typical, traditional street taco, it was still pretty tasty.  The chicken was tender and flavorful.

The steak was next and although it was a little chewy, it wasn't really bothersome enough to make a complaint about.  The taste was a good meaty steak flavor with lots of meat.  Definitely an enjoyable taco that I'd encourage you to try.

Lastly was the pork taco which also had a good taste.  It had a little bit of crunchiness to the meat. I'm not sure if that was intentional or if it was just slightly overdone.  However, it did honestly bring a little extra flavor to the meat so I didn't mind it.  It wasn't an excessive amount.  The pork was tender and there was plenty of it.

My only suggestion would be that they toast the tortillas a little more.  It was a softer tortilla and could have used a little flavor to it.  Also, I didn't really care for the cheese on top of these tacos.  It wasn't bad, but it was a little different and I think I would prefer it without next time.  It seemed unnecessary and sort of threw off the taste slightly.

Overall, value was acceptable - $8.88 total for lunch with chips and salsa.  Really the only downside is the drive. I wouldn't say they are good enough to make a special trip to Derby for them - but if I'm in Derby (or close) in the future, I'll definitely stop in again.  For what it's worth, they have a pretty large menu (and they had a decent weekday crowd), so I'd imagine they have a good selection of tasty food if you're in the mood for something besides tacos!

Out of 5 tacos, here are my ratings:

Food Taste:
Value:
Cleanliness:
Service:
Overall:
Likelihood to return:

No comments:

Post a Comment