Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2018

Shon's Take - Taco Tour Stop #47 - El Viejito - W. Central and I-235

Our hunt for a new spot a few weeks ago was made pretty easy for once. Travis had mentioned to us that there was a new Mexican place that had just opened near his work. Since we're both trying to find a tasty taco place that's close to our offices out west, this was a no brainer.


El Viejito is located in a teeny tiny building on W. Central, just east of I-235 that used to have a Chinese restaurant in it. The new owners have done a nice job of sprucing up the joint - everything looks fairly new and clean. This is a typical quick order Mexican restaurant. You walk up to the counter and order and they will bring it out to you. I wanted to try a little bit of everything, so I went with a fish taco, and 4 street tacos: asada, al pastor, chorizo, and carnitas.


The tacos came out in a fairly quick turnaround time and looked pretty decent on the plate. Everything came out with standard dress of cilantro, onion, and lime. We also got a couple of decent salsas. But just an FYI - no free chips and salsa here. I started with the fish taco, which was a couple of pieces of fried fish with a tasty tartar sauce and slaw on top. You'll notice there isn't a pic of it, mainly because I ate it before I even thought to take the pic. Overall, a pretty tasty taco. But for the size, I could've used a little more of the fish. Chorizo was next and I would say it was also a decent taco. They get bonus points just for having it on the menu as it seems only about 25% of the places we go to offer chorizo as an option. I had the other three tacos and they all left the same impression on me: plenty of meat, decent quality, but they didn't have that "flavor kick" that I had hoped for. And the carnitas seemed to be a little on the dry side. On their own they were probably average tacos, but I was able to give them a little more flavor with a few splashes of salsa.


So, overall, I'd say we found a viable option on the west side of town. Nothing super amazing, but good enough that I will definitely stop in again. The proximity to my office and the lack of quality taco places out west gives them a definite leg up. If you go, start with the fish and chorizo and go from there. My overall ratings on the 5 Taco Scale are below.


Food Quality - 3.0 Tacos
Price - $
Value - 2.5 Tacos
Cleanliness - 4.0 Tacos
Service - 3.0 Tacos
 Overall Experience 3.0 Tacos
Likelihood to return - 3.5 Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment